rslogix backward compactability

aradhonline

Suppose

I have an rsl5k installed in my system which is having a version number x and I want to open a project which is another version say y.

My question is
1. If y<x is it possible for me to open the project satisfying below conditions

My setup of rsl5k contains only version x and nothing less than that (not even option while installing)

I definitely don’t like Uninstall and Install my rsl5k which is old school method.

I have folders called (v11.16) and (v12.06) from other installation of rsl5k .Can I merge it with my x version setup so that I can welcome all controllers <x o_O

Last edited:
RSLogix 5000

You can have many versions of RSLogix 5000 installed at the same time. I have 10.07, 11.16, 12.06, 13.04, 15.02, 16.03, 17.01, 18.02 & 19.01 installed on my laptop. I have a lot of customers who have many different versions installed in their equipment. When I go in to troubleshoot a problem or make a change for them, I never know what I'll need until I get there.

My question is
1. If y<x is it possible for me to open the project satisfying below conditions

In a word: No.

when you install RSLogix 5000 from DVD you have the option to install support for earlier revisions as well. You can choose to install support for all revisions from v10 on or you can manually select specific revisions. Or you can just install the current revision.

If you do not install support for these earlier revisions then you cannot access them without converting them to your revision. But then the program will no longer match the hardware.

If you have the installation DVD simply run through the installation and you can add support for the older revisions you require.

OG

Multiple versions of RSLogix 5000 can be installed simultaneously in Windows XP computers.

The best method is to install them all at once, from DVD media. If you downloaded a specific version you will not have that option.

The alternate method is to install them in sequence. Since you have versions 11 and 12 installed, you should install versions 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 in order.

All versions from 12 to 19 are available from the Rockwell Software web updates service, which requires a TechConnect support contract.

Oh k

thanks all for the support ..My specific quesion is i have the versiion 18 installed and and no other firmware available with it and not evenn having any web accounts ..( long time) ..Can you help me in this condition

I think Operaghost said it.
If you do not install support for these earlier revisions then you cannot access them without converting them to your revision. But then the program will no longer match the hardware.
So if you only have version 18, when you open the ACD file from the old version, it will convert it to version 18 and you'd have to flash the firmware up to 18. No way around that without the old RSLogix 5k versions.