Communicate with Omron CP1L over Internet

solar123

Hi Guys,

I have the 2 following scenarios.

Scenario 1

I want to remotely communicate with an Omron CP1L device over the internet. I already have the CP1W-ETN01-US ethernet module installed. I want to communicate via CX-Programmer and then communicate/modify settings via web interface.

Scenario 2

If I am able to communicate with the CP1L over the internet, how do I store the data for data acquisition without communicating constantly with the remote computer? My plan is to store the data in memory and communicate with the PLC every 5 minutes.

I plan to collect the following data:

Temp 1:
Temp 2:
Temp 3:
Flow Rate:
Light Meter:

What happens when the remote location has DHCP? Is there any way for the server to communicate?

I am familiar with devices that send data to the server instead of the server requesting the data. Anyway to do the same thing in my application?

Hopefully someone will be able to shed some light on my dilema! Thanks for all your help!

Patrick

It should not be a problem to communicate over the internet - I cannot help you here as I am not into IT stuff but a VPN should solve the problem I would think. Talk to your IT guys.
As far as storing data in the PLC, you could probably use stacks for that. You would probably have to send a reset/cxlear command from the computer when you have read the data every 5 minutes.
With respect to DHCP for your computer, I have doubts that it would work. I would suggest from my experience that the PLC would need to have a fixed IP address so that you know what to address.
Sorry if I appear a bit vague here but I am no IT/DHCP/Router wehizz and intentionally stay away from that sort of stuff.