Turning A Motor On

dontknowmuch

I am working on a program to turn 3 motors on in 5 minute interval and turn them off in 5 minute intervals. Then get it to repeat the sequence. I can get them to come on in 5 min interval but I can't get them to go off in 5 min interval or repeat sequence.

HELP :confused:

Here is what I have so far.

test.jpg

Program is not complete!

If you used this program to try and run your motors, it is now wonder it won't work. Also, if you tried to download it, the processor would not accept a program with part of the required data missing. Your program shows ?'s in two places. Why is that? A little more work will help.

Self-resetting timer with a 5 minute preset. Use the DONE bit to increment a counter. When the counter's ACC value equals 1, turn on one motor, when it's 2, turn on two motors, etc. When the ACC value reaches 3, latch up a bit that suppresses any further up counting and enables a down counter. When you count down to zero, reset the latch.

I just redid the picture because I could not see it in one setting. If its 5 minutes then the timers arent set correctly if I read the original right, I thought it was 5 seconds. We did this not too long ago. I did it with a Horner using a bitrotate since my plc doesnt have SQO.

newtest.jpg

in the move boxes the source for the fisrt one should be 1
in the move boxes the source for the second one should be 3
in the move boxes the source for the third one should be 7

In a private message, dontknowmuch asks:
I dont understand what you meanlatch, unlatch

Latch means to turn on a bit that stays on (Latched) until you tell it to go off (unlatch). Also called SET and RESET.

The purpose of the bit is to give you a control to stop counting up once you have three motors running and begin counting down. Once you get to the state where no motors are running, you can unlatch (reset) the bit and you're ready to start counting up again.

Here's Steve's verbal explanation in ladder format. I was able to key it in EXACTLY as he described... :cool:
Steve Bailey said:
Self-resetting timer with a 5 minute preset. Use the DONE bit to increment a counter.. ..When the ACC value reaches 3, latch up a bit that suppresses any further up counting and enables a down counter. When you count down to zero, reset the latch.
[attachment]
Notice the rung comments follow his text... :nodi:
beerchug

-Eric

P.S. I think you can figure out how to turn on the motors.

CORRECTION: The timer's preset should be 30000, not 3000

ladder.gif

Last edited:
Nice work!

Eric, nice work on the program. But, I am more impressed with the screen shot. What software do you use and where can it be obtained? I have been using HTML Help Image Editor, but I don't like the limitations of it. I would apprecitate a heads up on what you use.
Thanks

It is a screen capture of RSLogix.

All you do is hit Alt-Print Screen to capture the active window. Open an image editing software. Hit paste and edit the image. Save as a .jpg so it will appear on the forum and post.

Last edited:
Another option!

Thanks to Rick, I figured out how to get my silly computer to work for me but man, what a long way around the horn. But, considering I am still using Win98SE and on a PII system, it is not to surprising.
So, dontknowmuch, check out this little suggestion and try and build on it to do your job. Well, I almost got all of it. N7:0 should contain the value 1 and N7:3 should have 4 in it.

motor.gif