RS View Tag Query

MarkNightingale

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi,

I am using RS View to do quite a large project, so I am using pop ups for all my valves and pumps etc.
This means I have to use parameter files to populate these pop ups with the relevant information.
When I am adding the tags to the parameter file I am basically copying and pasting from the offline tag file. However I've noticed that some tags have :: in front while others don't.
I dont want to do the 200 odd valves and find out that I have got to go back to put :: in front.
I have given an example below.

#11 = ::[Saudi]N16:4
#14 = [Saudi]N77:32

Thanks In Advance

Mark

If you are talking about FTView SE or ME, and not RSView 32, then the way that studio handles tags is at best inconsistent, and at worst stupid.

Simple rule for resolving the above though: If the device tag address has a colon :)) in it, you MUST precede the OPC name with "::".

If there is no colon in the device tag address, do NOT use "::".

SLC, PLC5 - ::[DeviceName]FileNumber:Element
Logix: - [DeviceName]Structure.Element

I am yusing FTView 5.1 and with parameter files, I have noticed the following.

Accessing global tags, no double colon
#1={[saudi]TagName.element}

Accessing program tags, there is a double colon
#1={::[saudi]Program:tagname.element}

Hope this helps.

Well, again, the program level tags need to have a ':' in the address path, so you must precede the access name with '::'.

Simple... If the address has a ':' anywhere in it, you must prefix the access name with '::'.

If there is no ':', don't use '::'.