Red Lion Display Historical Data

califflash

Hi all,

Well I got handed a project today that has to get done and I have to use a ML1500 LSP, already on hand. I am going to order input modules the first of Feb. I am logging the downtime of 4 production lines, including their rates, down time, and reason for stopping. All inputs that can stop the line (16 per line) are being monitored by input modules. Photoeyes are already being used on the system in place to count product for a water saver system.

I am planning on using a Red Lion G306 for the data logging functionality. The VFD will trigger an input on the PLC when it is running or not and the Red Lion will log the reason for the stop.

This data will be viewed via the built in web server on the Red Lion and e-mailed every morning. I realize that the e-mail will strictly be the CSV file that the G306 produces.

The Question:
When viewing the data on the web server is there a way to embed a graph showing line rate, trending function, with notations of the stop events and what those events were?

The corporate jobs are not that great with the so called "computer stuff". Being able to just send them a bookmark and them visually see what is happened in the last 24 hours would be the easiest way to accomplish my goal.

I have little experience with html code, but there is probably a way to create a custom webpage in the G3 to do what you want...but...

The way I would handle this, is to keep logging the data in csv format in the G3. I would then set up the Sync Manager so those files are automatically sent to a server somewhere that your intended recipients can access.

Then I would write an excel macro to open the file and create the charts, and perhaps save it with the new charts in excel file format.

Then send the excel sheet to them.

It's hard to beat the charting functionality in excel, and lots of folks know how to manipulate that.

I have little experience with html code, but there is probably a way to create a custom webpage in the G3 to do what you want...but...

The way I would handle this, is to keep logging the data in csv format in the G3. I would then set up the Sync Manager so those files are automatically sent to a server somewhere that your intended recipients can access.

Then I would write an excel macro to open the file and create the charts, and perhaps save it with the new charts in excel file format.

Then send the excel sheet to them.

It's hard to beat the charting functionality in excel, and lots of folks know how to manipulate that.
The G306A has a built-in web page you can use to start with.
You access it by typing the units' IP.
You have to enable the server though though when setting up the 306.
You can manipulate the code on the page to meet requirements. Haven't tried it but HTML is HTML.

Okie, I was kind of going down that road. And that is what I am going to use if I can't figure out this embeded graph.

bkottaras, thanks for the idea, but I was already past that point. Sorry if I didn't make it clear in my original post.

More specifically, the only way I have found to embed an excel file, graph, table, or script to open excel and import the file is through the use of a php script. This of course requires some work on the server (read: G306) side. I have seen no documentation on this in the Red Lion literature so I am going to assume there is no support for it.

The scripting is rather simple, but I didn't want to squash any other ideas since I'm pretty sure it won't work.

Maybe Thomas will chime in with an idea.

Thanks,
Cal

There's always the remote viewing option on the G3. If you set up a page with a graph primitive, you can remotely view the screen from another PC (it's part of the web server). The disadvantage is that the remote display always mirrors the actual display... so if someone connects remotely and changes to the graph screen, it will also be displayed on the main unit. Could be a problem if the operator's trying to change settings at the same time.