Recent Forum Upgrades...

Phil Melore

Administrator
Hi Folks,

Just a short note about recent forum upgrades.

For the past few weeks I've been trying to add some 'convenience' features. This most recent upgrade needs some explanation otherwise nobody will know it exists. (Yes, the help file needs an upgrade and it's on my todo list :rolleyes: )

Before now if you wanted to add a picture to your post it was always added to the bottom of the post along with a note like "Username has attached this image:" This seemed to be inconvenient.(OK, no doubt it WAS!)
So, I made a programming change that lets you attach a picture without the 'annoying message' and more importantly it lets you control exactly where the picture appears in your post.
To do this:
Type your message and put the code [***attachment] (without the ***) in your post exactly where you want the picture to appear. (of course, don't forget to attach the image from the 'attach file' section below the message area... as always)
(to see the results refer to example)

Other recent unsaid minor(?) upgrades have included:

a link to the top of the thread button
a complete WYSIWYG(What You See Is What You Get) signature editor
a link to translation into misc languages
the ability to link to a specific post within another thread
more smilies
a 'refer a friend to the forum' function

Still in process is the scratchpad I wrote about a while ago. It WILL happen. I'm still finalizing it (part time ;) )and trying to get some major bug out. Other minor things coming as well.

Anyway, please feel free to post/email suggestions as that's how things improve around here!

Enjoy!

Last edited:
This forum sets the standard.

What I would like to know is what software did you use to get started. Another forum that I frequent www.ifps.org, is crude by comparison and I would like to suggest the sofware package that you used to get started.

The www.ifps.org site cannot accept files or understand html.
I would also like to know the number of hours required to make all the modifications you have made.

Re: This forum sets the standard.

Peter Nachtwey said:
What I would like to know is what software did you use to get started. Another forum that I frequent www.ifps.org, is crude by comparison and I would like to suggest the sofware package that you used to get started.

Hi Peter,
The base software is VBulletin.
It has of course been modified many times over but the core functionality is the same.

I never count how many hours I put into the site, to be honest. If I did I'd realize I need a different interest :rolleyes: . I do it because I enjoy plcs (and all factory automation) as well as 'Internet stuff programming'.

But since you asked, it's realistic to say I've put a few hundred hours into this forum(about 5 hours today alone). But, to set it up 'out of the box' should only take a few hours or less assuming the programmer knows what he's doing. The out-of-the-box program should be fine for them... as it is for most people.

Incidentally, the board (wwwboard... written by Matt Wright if my memory is good) IFPS is using was the first board used here in '97 or '98. (it's a freebie) Anybody here around back then and actually remembers it? (just a few maybe) It was revolutionary for its time but peoples expectations have risen tremendously since then. (This is the 4th forum design here for those into history.)

Anyway, I hope that helps you to convince them to change with the times. lolis

Enjoy,

There are alot of other forum software that you can try too. One is called IKONboard, that is one of the ones I use. IKONboard is free. Originally, it was only PERL based with MySQL, but now they have a FREE PHP version with MySQL. VBulletin is VERY FAST, because it's PHP based, but I am sure Phil had to pay money for it.

If you want, you can visit a place I like to check out GPL software at http://www.hotscripts.com.

Of course I like Linux, Free BSD, Unix based web servers, so you should be looking in PERL and PHP section. Check out links like these:

http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP/Scripts_and_Programs/Discussion_Boards/

http://www.hotscripts.com/Perl/Scripts_and_Programs/Discussion_Boards/

I've got my eye on this one:

http://www.hotscripts.com/Detailed/15712.html

It's PHP like VBulletin, and it's FREE.

But with IKONboard, rolling out a PHP version soon, I probablly will stick with IKON because I know it's programming inside and out now, much like Phil knows VBulletin inside and out too...

Anyway..hope that helps.