Simple motion controller

Jim Dungar

An old customer has contacted me about creating a single axis cut-to-length saw for metal.

We are looking for a no-frills linear system, with the ability to make cuts up to 24" long with .001" accuracy. Basic scheme is: manually position clamp, home controller, close clamp, move to set length, saw cut, open clamp, return to home,and repeat. There will be metal shaving and cutting fluids.

Need screw, motor and controller (stepper?), and operator interface for setting length. We will use a small PLC compatible with the Schneider Electric Twidos they have on other saws (piston controlled with prox switches).

Any suggestions for sources, either new or used? It has been years since I procured automation equipment.

Took a look at Peters link ie Tiger Stop. Looks like it may meet your needs - look at the catalog page for table saw type apps.

Seems to me this kind of equipment is Peters meat and potatoes. If he recommends someone else I would look real hard at what his competitor makes.

I would also consider water jet or even plasma.

Dan Bentler

Thanks guys.

The application is a simple cut-off saw. I have done two saws for this customer using a hydraulic cylinder for the positioning, but that is hard to set up with prox switches. That is why they want to go with something that can be set up with a digital display.

I have no problem dealing with parts and pieces, but I do not want to re-invent the wheel either.