SCADA Recommendation

AfroJoe11

From the below mentioned SCADA systems could I get some recommendations as to which one to go with and why.

- WinCC
- RSView32
- FactoryTalk View
- CitectSCADA
- Adroit
- InTouch HMI

I have read through all the info on the websites and etc and have never worked on any SCADA before. I'm just looking for additional info as I am doing vacation work and would just like to know what are other peoples experiences with the above mentioned SCADA's.

I would not go for RSView32, as it is the past generation of software. Regardless that it works OK right now. Not sure if the next generation Factory Talk View is recommendable - yet.

Siemens WinCC is also in transition to a new generation. I would not go for the past generation, and the next generation has not been released yet, and it will be some time before we can know that it is OK to recommend.

The others I dont know.
(not much help am I ? Sorry !)

Would like to mention Inductive Automation's Ignition as well. It is completely web-based, and I think it is the way things goes, so it may be worth considering.

I'd say InTouch or Ignition myself, in that order.
Rockwell's are both very outdated, and they don't ever seem to put any effort into making them actually work. Siemens also is having some major changes in the near future, so I'd hold off until that becomes stable.

it really depends on what you are trying to accomplish. some are better than others at certain things.

some are cheaper than others when you only need a few features.

tell us what you want to do.

It is for use in the coal mining industry and cost is not a factor that I should be concerned about. It can only be from the SCADA's mentioned in my 1st post.

If this is a critical application, and there must be some kind of redundancy built-in, then WinCC and I think als Factory Talk SE has it.
edit: Actually, a fully fledged redundant system is more likely to be PCS7 than just WinCC. PCS7 is a combination of WinCC and S7. And it is not for the newbie.

Dont know about the others.

Ignition has Redundancy as well.

It is for use in the coal mining industry and cost is not a factor that I should be concerned about. It can only be from the SCADA's mentioned in my 1st post.

still alot of questions to be answered,

do you need redundancy?
do you need historian software to store years worth of data?
do you want to have multiple pc's running the software, or just one?
will upper level management be looking at this data, or just the operators at the plant?
do you need email/text/voice notification when something goes into alarm?

just to name a few.

What are your requirements??

The question you've asked is somewhat akin to asking "Which car is best?" but not telling us your intended purpose.

There must be redundancy.
Yes an historian software is needed but the main focus is the SCADA.
Multiple pc's will be running the software.
Yes upper level management will be looking at reports compiled from the data.
Yes email/text/voice notification when something goes into alarm?
Must be user friendly as it is going to be used in the mining industry.
Must be scalable, which from the info on the websites states that all the mentioned systems are scalable.

Some more info don't know if its relevant:
We are looking at standardizing the hardware and software used on about 4 or 5 different coal mines and having them all connected to the business network. We are looking at using Allen Bradley Devices as the standard.

Have I missed anything?

Does your definition of redundancy mean that all computers must have synchronized databases?

If so, then you will need a true redundant system similar to WinCC. To my knowledge, RSView (don't know about the others) does not synchronized SCADA databases and counts redundancy as being redundant points of control. Not necessarily synchronized.

I would go for Ignition, hands down. Clearly the most modern, and you won't have to worry about how many clients or tags you need. It's web based and can do redundancy.
You would have to buy an OPC server if you're not talking to a Rockwell device though.

I would go for Ignition, hands down. Clearly the most modern, and you won't have to worry about how many clients or tags you need. It's web based and can do redundancy.
You would have to buy an OPC server if you're not talking to a Rockwell device though.

To truly maximimize the power of Ignition you would need two types of programmers.

First , the typical IT geek, who can handle all the background SQL database logging stuff.

Second, the typical PLC Rung Head, who can develop screens and controls that are logically laid out according to a plant floor environment and are operator friendly.