Need to send STRING to HMI

desty

Hi all, i currently use RSLOGIX 5000 and need to send 3 variations of the same tag to my HMI

IGNIT_CTRL : OFF
IGNIT_CTRL : ON
IGNIT_CTRL : BYPASS

previously i was sending a DINT and did a script in intouch that convert the int in the different messages depending of the value.

but now i want to send the string directly, and can't find the right command.

Thank you.

Probably need a little more info on this one. What is prompting the string to be sent? Can it be as simple as manipulating an array of (3) strings in Logix?

In the HMI i want to just a read a string and show it.

like if IGNIT_CTRL = ON, in intouch i will use IGNIT_CTRL as a IO message and just show the string, in that case ON.

But i want to be able to do it for 3 different cases,

ON , OFF , BYPASS.

Previously i was sending a DINT to Intouch and converter the Value into Messages in Intouch using this script :

{*** IGNITION CONTROL SWITCH ***}
{*** STATE ANIMATION MESSAGE ***}

IF IGNIT_CTRL_STATE == 0 THEN
IGNIT_CTRL_STATE_MESSAGE = "ON";
ENDIF;

IF IGNIT_CTRL_STATE == 1 THEN
IGNIT_CTRL_STATE_MESSAGE = "OFF";
ENDIF;

IF IGNIT_CTRL_STATE == 2 THEN
IGNIT_CTRL_STATE_MESSAGE = "BYPASS";
ENDIF;

Now i need to send the String directly without using a converting script.

Well, i know intouch can read it easily, but i can't find the right instruction in rslogix that move ON/OFF/BYPASS in a string tag. can't get it to work with COP/MOV... :(

Create seperate string tags with the string you want, one for each string. Once they are created go to the tag viewer. Use the 'Monitor Tags' tab. Just type the message between the quotes. Then it's a COP command. There's no way to just specify a quoted string as the source.

thanks, but this way, i need 3 indicators instead of one in my HMI, since i am using 3 different tags. I can't just show 3 different strings with the same indicator.

i don't know how to do it, but is this possible to push one single string TAG to the HMI, but in the PLC SIDE to write 3 different varient of the string depending of the conditions?

thanks, but this way, i need 3 indicators instead of one in my HMI, since i am using 3 different tags.

No, you need one string tag which is being displayed by your InTouch software, and three other tags which hold your string text constants.

In the PLC, depending on your conditions, you will copy the appropriate string constant tag into the one being read by the Intouch app.

So the tag being displayed by the Intouch app will change to which ever value you are copying into it at any given moment.

If you have three messages in tags STRING[1], STRING[2] and STRING[3] then set aside another string (HMI_STRING)which the HMI will read.

In the PLC code use COP STRING[1] HMI_STRING 1

Note the '1' as the length in the COPy command. You are copying one string.

Thank you all, Yes i will just use the COP command, and copy a constant String into my HMi string. it wouldnt compile because i didnt put '1' in lenght. :oops:

Does the HMI you are using have any scripting capability? I use the Fuji HMIs and I know that they can do the script essentially the same way you did it with inTouch.

edbro, see his post #4. That's the way I do this in Intouch. Not sure why he's needing a string; using one number change in the PLC is usually more efficient than using separate strings.

It's the HMI that gets bulky most of the time!

Note: I use the approach in #4, I replaced 50 copies of stacked invisible/visible text doing this...

Last edited: