SLC 5/03 can't communicate with 1747 pic

AZKALS_2011

Hello, I'm trying to communicate my 1747-L532 ser B with os#1747-OS300 A 3 using 1747-PIC. My power supply is a P1 and 7 slot rack. But RSLinx can't find it. I tested my rs linx and 1747 pic to my other fixed slc, and they work. So I can say it won't be my software or pic. I'm using a evo N610c laptop, this laptop has a broken dc to dc converter, so I run its power thru docking station and ac adapter.

Also, upon arrival, all LED were flashing, except the RUN LED. I noticed that the jumper on J4 was missing so I placed a jumper on "PROGRAM". By then, its only the FORCE and BATT LEDs are flashing but still rs linx can't find my plc.

What do you think are the issues on my plc?

I bought all my plcs' on ebay, I'm not automation field but got interested so I bought them for hobby.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum:
Aye you using a usb to serial converter ??. most of them do not work, do a search here and you will find godd ones that can solve your problem.

The SLC5/03 has a serial RS232 port. It is worth a try to go that way in stead of the DH485 port.

Use a serial null-modem cable in stead of the PIC cable.
Remove the PIC driver from RSLinx.
Restart the PC (!).
Configure the DF1 driver in RSLinx, use the "auto-configure" function to automatically detect baudrate etc.
And then you should be online.

And, I think you must leave the jumper in the other position. It is intended for loading new firmware.

And, I think you must leave the jumper in the other position. It is intended for loading new firmware.

Yes, that's correct. Move the jumper J4 back to the protect position first.

To get the PIC to work, you can try both baud rates, and at least a different node number for the PIC driver, failing that, then follow Jesper's advice with the serial (9 pin D) port.

1747-OS300 Series A FRN 3 is one of the very first SLC-5/03 controllers; your was probably built in 1994.

all LED were flashing, except the RUN LED

If all the LEDs were flashing at the same time, that's a self-test failure during boot. The missing J4 jumper suggests that somebody tried to perform a firmware upgrade to this controller and it failed. My recollection is that these very early OS300 Series A controllers might not have been upgradeable.

I bought all my plcs' on ebay

All these facts together suggest that the PLC failed in service or was damaged during an upgrade attempt, so it was sold to you. It certainly wouldn't be the first time damaged or broken goods were sold on eBay and represented as functional ones. Somewhere on the Forums there's the tale of a DeviceNet bridge that magically transformed into a red brick during shipment from the eBay seller.

I think you're going to have to chalk this up as a learning experience and try again with another seller. Good luck !

i have had a issue in the past on my dell docking station not being able to talk to a micro 1100.could not use the docking station serial plug.had to remove laptop from station and use serial on side of the laptop.

HOw about restoring to factory defaults? shorting the VBB and gnd?

But I don't know which IC should be shorted?

It can't hurt to try. Just unplug the battery and short VBB to GND for 60 seconds.

EDIT: But if all the LEDs are still flashing, then I think you still need the firmware upgrade kit to attempt to restore the functionality of that old SLC...I am not sure where you'll find a kit compatible with Series A hardware.

SLC_short_vbb_gnd.png

Last edited: