MSG - Compact Logix to Micro1200 via ENI

pembry

I have a compact logix l32E. On the network, I have a Micrologix1200 connencted to a NET-ENI module to create ethernet connectivity.

In the CLX, I'm using a MSG instruction I am stuck on the path.

I have entered the following:

LocalENB, 2, 192.168.126.80
LocalENB, 2, 192.168.126.80,0,0
and
LocalENB, 2, 192.168.126.80,1,1

None of which have worked. Simply trying to X'fer N7:0 with 10 elements.

Err = 16#0001 with extended error 16#0204

Basically, MSG timing out because the path is incorrect.

Requesting assistnace with the proper path.

Thanks,

Pat

It is connected via ethernet switch. In RSLinx, the ENI is showing proper configuration as the icon show the PLC. In addition, I can browse the data tables.

It's all about the path I believe. No screen shots right now, might be able to get some tonight or morning.

When you're sending a MSG to a PLC, SLC, or MicroLogix device, the CIP path is "1,0" after the target IP. It's treating the controller as though it's in Slot 0.

I'm not certain that 0x0204 is the error you'll get from an invalid path... that's usually a straightforward Timeout.

Try 1,0 as the last hop, then start thinking about the CIP Connection limit on the Net-ENI. It can handle up to 4 incoming CIP connections, so the RSLinx browse is one, and the MSG from the ControlLogix is another. If there are multiple PC's running RSWho with Autobrowse checked, they might be using up all the CIP connections of the Net-ENI.

You can determine the Net-ENI's CIP connection status via Telnet... there's an RA Knowledgebase document about that.

we might be on to something. I can ping the NET-ENI but I cannot Telnet to it.
In my statement above, I am incorrect about being connected via switch. We are connected via VPN to remote site (I"m offiste programming).

Two networks connected via VPN, 192.168.125x and 192.168.126.x

When I try to telnet is indicates that port 23 is not open. However, I can ping with no problem.

Thoughts?

Hmm.

Are the ControlLogix and the Net-ENI on the same 192.168.126.xxx subnet ?

Can you determine what Series letter the Net-ENI is, and what firmware revision ? I don't know if the built-in web page of the Net-ENI shows the firmware rev.

I've never had a problem connecting with Telnet to the Net-ENI.

We're having two different problems.... the MSG from the ControlLogix to the MicroLogix and now the curious Telnet failure.

Try using TCPING to check the ability of your PC to connect to the Net-ENI on TCP Port 80, TCP port 23, and TCP Port 44818 (which is EtherNet/IP).

I can get to the web page ok.

Net-eni is series D
Firmware 03.21

The diagnostics page showed that two ethernet connections were made, both RSLinx on two seperate PC's. I have since taken them off and only one RSLinx instance has a connection. Still can't telnet....

Going to try the msg again now that he ethernet connection is down to 1

Great tool tcping, never used it.
It shows 80 and 44818 open but not 23.

I will dig on this

There is a setting on the ENI setup utility to select for compact logix routing. Does this come in to play here?

I'm now connected directly to the network with the ENI and cannot access port 23 from telnet or tcping. Is there something in the setup or possibly a firmware revision needed here?

Ah, my recollection is refreshed; Telnet is moved to TCP Port 1500, so "Telnet 192.168.126.80 1500" from the command prompt.

But that's not the real problem, the MSG instruction is.

If you can browse the Net-ENI with RSLinx, you know it's communicating and you're sure of the IP address.

You tried treating it as the endpoint of the CIP Path, right ? With no "1, 0" at the end of the path.

You definitely don't need to enable "CompactLogix Routing". Net-ENI to MicroLogix 1200 is the way they're supposed to work, from the first releases.

Yep, port 1500 works :)
confirmed on browsing and IP address.
I tried is as the endpoint (first try)
I am also able to configure the ENI via ethernet now that I have downloaded the software.

Communication settings in MSG instruction:
LocalENB,2,192.168.126.80
CIP selected

Configuration settings in MSG instruction:
Type: SLC Typed Read
Source: N7:0
Elements: 1
Dest. Element: WBPS_N7_0 (Type INT)

Consistenly returns Error: 16#00001 and Extend Error: 16#0204

enable MSG instructino and after about 30s it Errors.