Configuring ML1500 LRP C do to Modbus

No income tax, no capital gains tax. Freedom!
I wish to test writing to our controller using Modbus on a ML1500 LRP. We downloaded the the latest version of firmware 1764-LRP-FRN09.exe and installed it. I also installed the latest version of RS500 6.10.10. The RS500 will let me configure channel 1 for Modbus at 38.4K 8N1. The MSG block will let me enter data so I can copy 10 floats from f56:0 on our controller to F8:0 in the ML1500. However, this code will not compile because it says I don't have a ML1500 LRP C FRN 9. However, there is no option of the type in the controller properties. Is this a Rockwell oops or and I doing something wrong.

Last edited:
Firmware? No...

My first response would be firmware, since I ran into a similiar problem and that was the culprit, but if you already changed it, then I'm at a loss.

Are you sure the download "took"? It almost has to be a version issue of some kind.

Good Luck!

TM

My guess would be that there is a specific hardware requirement (i.e. rev. C) in addition to the firmware revision.

I think Timothy is right.

Rebooted my laptop and then opened RS500 and when on-line immediately without openning a project. It still says I have a ML1500 LRP C. No FRN9.

I am now trying to update the firmware but the control flash will only go between two dialogs. One lets me select 1764LRP and the other lets me select the download port and speed. Control flash cycles between those two dialogs then give an error:

A connection was already established.....
Network inteface already establish. \

Well if so then why didn't go on to the next dialog to ask for the path to the new firmware?

I can't be the only one trying to use this new firmare and software on the ML1500.

I got if configured.

There error message was really just a warning.

The Micrologix 1500 does an execellent job of supporting many of the most used data transfer commands. I haven't seen Modicon PLCs that can support as many transfer commands as the ML1500

BUT.....

Rockwell didn't support floating point transfers. What gives? It requires only a little more effort. Even a lowly Koyo DL250 can easily transfer floating point numbers over Modbus. ( goad ) At least the ML1500 can transfer floating point using DF1.

Anyway I can still transfer the data to a N file and CPW it to a float file. This takes a little more work but it will be worth it. The ML1500 will be my Modbus protocol tester just because it supports more Modbus commands than any other PLC I know of.

The world is strange. Using a Rockwell PLC to test the Modbus protocol. Would who have though of that a few years ago.
Rockwell almost deserves an 'atta boy'.