Remote Rack Question

GNBLogic

Hello,

I currenly have a Automation Direct DL05 and SLC 505.

I'm wanting to remove the DL05 and place a a Micro 1200 in its place. My question is "can i remote rack a 1200 with a RIO?
I need something that is the size of a 1200 that would hold an Analog Card and fit in that spot.

I would like to keep the main program in the SLC 505.

Just trying come up with a good configuration.

14INDC/10OUTAC

Thanks in Advance,

Hello,

I currenly have a Automation Direct DL05 and SLC 505.

I'm wanting to remove the DL05 and place a a Micro 1200 in its place. My question is "can i remote rack a 1200 with a RIO?
I need something that is the size of a 1200 that would hold an Analog Card and fit in that spot.

I would like to keep the main program in the SLC 505.

Just trying come up with a good configuration.

14INDC/10OUTAC

Thanks in Advance,
If you already have RIO why not look into the 1794 FLEX series adapters and FLEX modules?
You add the RIO adapter remotely and attach the modules you need to it.
Up to 8 modules, so there's room for expansion as well if need be.

I can't think of anything simple on RIO.

If you had a DeviceNet scanner you could add a serial/DeviceNet interface (1761-NET-DNI) to the MicroLogix 1200 and treat it almost like remote I/O.

If the DL05 suits your hardware needs, you have the option of adding a DeviceNet or serial slave (the D0-DCM does Modbus RTU Slave, and the current SLC firmware does Modbus Master) module and leave it in place.

The cheapest thing would be an RS-232 connection between the SLC and a D0-DCM module. But maybe cheap isn't your primary objective.

The distance between controllers makes a difference too; 50 ft for RS-232, 1600 feet for DeviceNet, 10,000 feet for RIO.

The answer to your first question, "can i remote rack a 1200 with a RIO?" is No, the ML1200 has no capability to be an RIO remote rack.
As others have stated, your options are limited by budget and distance.