how to upload program from slc

suboliu

hi, everyone.
I have original slc code. when I online upload code from slc, I miss all descriptions . does somebody know how to online upload plc program that has description? or how to set up so that I upload program that has description.

thanks!

Your SLC does not hold the description/comments they are in the offline file (.rss file) only. When you upload a program from your SLC you should open the offline file first then upload.

The dialog when you go online with an SLC asks you if you want to "merge" with an offline project.
thanks a lot. but i open original code and then go online, it did not ask me if you want to "merge". if should set something to upload problem so that it has description?

Once you have saved the file with an empty database, RSLogix will continue to use that file when you go online, since it will "see" that file as the best match for the one in the SLC processor. Specifically, if the processor name and checksum matches the saved copy with no comments, then it won't even give you the chance to merge with a different file...it skips right past that dialog box altogether. RSLogix5 works slightly differently, utilizing the last edit timestamp too.

Here's another thread on the subject:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=49035

I still think there's a really detailed thread somewhere, but I haven't located it yet.

EDIT: Here's one with a little more info in it:
http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=17555

Last edited:
Your SLC does not hold the description/comments they are in the offline file (.rss file) only. When you upload a program from your SLC you should open the offline file first then upload.

Thank you for your help!
but I open original file .rss that it has description offline, then go to online upload, after upload file open, it has not description.

Once you have saved the file with an empty database, RSLogix will continue to use that file when you go online, since it will "see" that file as the best match for the one in the SLC processor. Specifically, if the processor name and checksum matches the saved copy with no comments, then it won't even give you the chance to merge with a different file...it skips right past that dialog box altogether. RSLogix5 works slightly differently, utilizing the last edit timestamp too.

Here's another thread on the subject:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=49035

I still think there's a really detailed thread somewhere, but I haven't located it yet.

EDIT: Here's one with a little more info in it:
http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=17555
thank your very much.
I will take time to test accoridion to your opinion !

In RSLogix500, on the main menu bar, go to Tools > Options > and look at the "Project Files Search Path".

Next, open a windows explorer and browse to that path.

Now, shut down RSLogix500 for a second.

Look at all the files there and find all those with the same name as the one you're using, and/or the same name you are seeing in the RSLogix Title Bar when online with no comments/symbols.

Double click on the file you think is the correct one. RSLogix500 will open the file. If it contains all the comments and symbols and page titles, then you have found the correct file. If it doesn't but contains an empty database, then move it to another location, or delete it, and try again.

Now once you have located the "good" file, move all the other files to some other temorary location on the hard drive, somewhere that is not in the default path that RSLogix500 uses.

Now, you should be able to go online with that file and have all your comments available.

BUTT, (Big but), if the checksum doesn't match, then you're going to get the 'No matching file found' dialog box.

At that point, you should look at the bottom of that window and locate your "good" file, then click the button that's labeled "Upload Using File". DON'T click on the button that says create new file, or you'll end up with another one with the empty database. If you do that by mistake, then be sure NOT to save it...

Once you get online, and get all your comments to display, SAVE THE FILE. Then in the future, when you open that file and go online, RSLogix500 "should" go online immediately with that (now correct) file with the matching processor name and matching checksum.

One other possibility is that you have comments and symbols turned off in your ladder options, but that would affect the file whether you are offline or online...

In RSLogix500, on the main menu bar, go to Tools > Options > and look at the "Project Files Search Path".

Next, open a windows explorer and browse to that path.

Now, shut down RSLogix500 for a second.

Look at all the files there and find all those with the same name as the one you're using, and/or the same name you are seeing when online with no comments/symbols.

Double click on the file you think is the correct one. RSLogix500 will open the file. If it contains all the comments and symbols and page titles, then you have found the correct file. If it doesn't but contains an empty database, then move it to another location, or delete it, and try again.

Now once you have located the "good" file, move all the other files to some other temorary location on the hard drive, somewhere that is not in the default path that RSLogix500 uses.

Now, you should be able to go online with that file and have all your comments available.

BUTT, (Big but), if the checksum doesn't match, then you're going to get the 'No matching file found' dialog box.

At that point, you should look at the bottom of that window and locate your "good" file, then click the button that's labeled "Upload Using File". DON'T click on the button that says create new file, or you'll end up with another one with the empty database. If you do that by mistake, then be sure NOT to save it...

Once you get online, and get all your comments to display, SAVE THE FILE. Then in the future, when you open that file and go online, RSLogix500 "should" go online immediately with that (now correct) file with the matching processor name and matching checksum.

One other possibility is that you have comments and symbols turned off in your ladder options, but that would affect the file whether you are offline or online...

Thank you very much!
I will try tomorrow!
have good day!