How to choose a NUT value?

nqn827

Hi all,

Would someone please tell me if there is a "general" rule in choosing a Network Updated Time (NUT) for a RsLogix 5000 project?

TIA

What is the absolute fastest interval you require to get data exchanged between any two nodes on the network? That is what the NUT must be. No exchanges faster than the NUT are allowed.

OG

The principal drawbacks to a short NUT are:

1. Fewer nodes can transmit during a single NUT.
2. Less unscheduled bandwidth available.
3. Higher CPU utilization by the ControlNet bridges.

My habit is to use the default 5 ms NUT to start with and make it longer if I have a large number of nodes, or shorter if I need to tune up for some fast I/O.

Network Update Time (NUT) should really be called the Network Update Interval, but the common acronym is catchier, so the name stuck.

It's a general network setting in ControlNet that determines the cyclic timing of the network.

It doesn't exist in EtherNet/IP because Ethernet is stack-based and not time-based.