Woodward Easygen vs Wonderware

I'm having modbus issues with a device.

The device in question is a Woodward EasyGen 3200 (http://www.woodward.com/PDF/IC/37383.PDF, p79), who's MODBUS addresses have an offset of 50,000 for some insane reason.

The problem is that i can't make Wonderware work with such a high address. There's a spot where it lists modbus addresses properly for all other devices, but nothing comes up for these woodwards, and I'm worried it's because of the modbus offset of 50,000.

Anybody have any experience here?

Hello,

The original MODBUS specification had a maximum 4 digit address. That gave 0001 to 9999.

The first digit was the register "type" - 4 holding, 3 input, etc.

The protocol actually uses a 16 bit field so the value could really be 65535 giving a 5 digit address 00001 to 65535.

I am not sure why Wonderware would not support the full address range.

PeakHMI supports the full address range. - shameless plug.

I searched on the web for an answer to the WW question and I did not find a solution. I did see one reference to tech note #80 but, I do not have an account with WW.

Typo.

Yes, you are correct #180.

I see that it references "emulate 584/984" in the header so I am not sure it will have a solution.

It's known as 6 digit Modbus addressing 4xxxxxx, as opposed to 5 digit 4xxxx Modbus addressing

Wonderware is too big and 6 digit has been around too long for them not to handle it in some fashion.

Try Googling: 6 digit modbus addressing Wonderware

I got a pdf:
Wonderware® MBTCP DAServer User’s Guide
http://www.logic-control.com/media/DASMBTCP.pdf

• Register size (digits): Select the correct register size for addressing the PLC.
• 4-digit is used for addressing the Modbus Generic 4-Digit PLCs.
• 5-digit applies to the Modbus Generic 5-Digit PLCs.
• 6-digit is used for addressing the Modbus Generic 6-Digit PLCs.
• The default value is 6, for the Modbus Generic 6-Digit PLCs.
Note The selection for the Register size determines the maximum address range. They are changeable as in other supported PLCs listed in Appendix A, Supported DASMBTCP Hardware and Firmware.
For 4-digit, the maximum value is 999.
For 5-digit, the maximum value is 9999.
For 6-digit, the maximum value is 65536.

Here's an recitation from someone using InTouch :
http://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?showtopic=11659

Last edited:
wonderware also supports Universal Server IO driver. It can do anything modbus... period. but its very expensive.

Yep - they start there. Also do not take to many words at a time - I think 20-30 words in one extraction is the limit - you have to take several bites. This is not uncommon and I am finding it more and more.

I'm having modbus issues with a device.

The device in question is a Woodward EasyGen 3200 (http://www.woodward.com/PDF/IC/37383.PDF, p79), who's MODBUS addresses have an offset of 50,000 for some insane reason.

The problem is that i can't make Wonderware work with such a high address. There's a spot where it lists modbus addresses properly for all other devices, but nothing comes up for these woodwards, and I'm worried it's because of the modbus offset of 50,000.

Anybody have any experience here?

Page 50 of the manual tells you why it starts at 50001 (registers 1 - 50000 are for parameters).

I've never liked Wonderware, just another reason why...