S5

Hey,

My first project is to convert a Siemens S5 to a Siemens S7. I did a lot of research but there are some problems.
Its a Siemens s5-135 PLC with the 928c CPU and 3 racks.
In the first rack there is the PLC and 15 DI (420-4u12) and a IM module
In the sec. rack there 8 AI (4x 465-4ua12 en 4x 465-4ua) and 4 DO (470-4uc12). On the last rack there 2 AO (465-ua12), 7 DI (4x:420-ua12, 3x 430-4ua) and 11 DO (441-4ua12). So its 45 i/o modules. My boss want to keep te wiring so i think i need to use an adapter from Siemens or Vipa. But there is a problem it think i can't use a s7-300 or 400 with expansion racks because i can only use the space of de s5 + racks. Is there a sollution of this problem like using a s300 or 400 wit a fieldbus slave and profibus? And if thats the way what can i use. I think i cant use a et200 because its to small. So my question is. How can i transform a s5 with 45 i/o (in 3 racks) when i keep the wiring and if only the space of the 3 racks is available.

I hope there's a solution and i am sorry for the bad English i am working on it.

Thx

There are some wiring adapters, see this document:
http://www.plcs.net/downloads/index...grade_S5_hardware_to_S7.pdf&directory=Siemens&

But not sure if it is possible to keep the same space.
Apart from that, you can use 8-channel ET200S modules, and since you can fit 2 Et200S rows in where the 135U rack used to be, then maybe it is possible anyway.
We have done a few projects in this way. Maybe you can ditch some of the i/o to save some of the modules.
For example, if there is a large mimic diagram with lots of buttons and lamps, then drop that altogether and make a SCADA solution in stead.

Thx for the info.
Were doe i find more info about the phoenix or siemens adapters s5 to s7-300. I look on there sites and i find some brouchures but they only talk about DI and DO modules from the s5. Can i convert analoge signals from a s5 to a s7-300 with these adapters?

For cabinet S5 conversions I have used ET200M with Profibus headers to replace the rack I/O using these made up connectors with flying lead length selected to reach the connection points within the cabinets. The CPU is mounted separately with a Profibus connection to the rack I/O.

fly.JPG

using these made up connectors with flying lead length selected to reach the connection points within the cabinets.
We did it the other way round, the existing wires were connected to new ET200S modules. Was quite fast, as you keep the wires hanging in the old connectors, and then rewire them to the new connectors one-by-one. Same wire numbers and PLC adresses.
Of course it depends on that the existing wires are long enough.

Back
Top Bottom