FactoryTalk Recipe Retention

DamianInRochester

Lifetime Supporting Member
This is my first attempt at fiddling with Rockwells Recipe function. Everything works (although nothing like I would prefer it to) except everytime I load a new .mer file it erases all my saved recipes.

I selected "Recipe files are part of the HMI project".

Is there a way to get the PanelView to retain my saved recipes?

I am using FT ME 5.10.00 on a PanelView Plus 1000 Compact.
Everything is new.

If the new .mer file does not have the recipes in it, it will overwrite the old .mer file on the PV+ that does have the recipes. To save the new recipes created on the PV+, upload the .mer file from the PV+, restore it using the application manager, make your changes, create a new .mer then download it to the PV+.

Note: You can only restore a runtime program if you are using Factory Talk version 5 or later.

Is it possible to store the recipes as a separate file (such as log files)? Based on what you are telling me, I would probably be much better served creating my own recipe scheme and storing the values on the PLC.

Thanks for the quick reply!

In the Recipe Plus setup window, you can choose to make the recipe files NOT part of the HMI program. You will then have to specify where you want the recipes stored eg. on the external Compact Flash card if you have one. (If not, I would recommend you get one, no larger than 512 MB), or possibly on a USB flash drive (I have never done it this way).

Thank you. For some reason I overlooked that. Do I need an kind of funky formatting on the flash?

I still think I will ultimately end storing in the PLC. This recipe feature seems to be over complicated. I'm only storing 2 values per recipe file.

No funky formatting required. If you install the flash into the PV+ then use your transfer utility to download the .mer into the flash card (external Storage 1) it will set up the folders on the flash card as required.

I would recommend Automation Direct for the Compact Flash Card as Rockwell's are pretty pricey.

same problem here

hello,

I have the same problem here, how did you solve it?
I dont want to do it in the PLC.

I selected that the recipe is on external storage 1, but when i open the overview, i dont see the recipe :(

i hope someone can help me.

I hate the recipe handler in FT...

1 - Create a new directory on the storage card with the same name as declared in the recipe plus editor

2 - Browse to your application directory and copy all .rpp files to the newly created directory

recipePlusEditor.PNG recipePlusHelp.PNG

I would probably be much better served creating my own recipe scheme and storing the values on the PLC.

Probably so. Especially if you ever intend to have more than one HMI. Storing the recipes in the PLC memory places your recipe values in a single, globally accessible repository, thereby avoiding the possibility of having multiple recipe data tables with differing values on different HMIs.

hello,

I have the same problem here, how did you solve it?
I dont want to do it in the PLC.

I selected that the recipe is on external storage 1, but when i open the overview, i dont see the recipe :(

i hope someone can help me.

I did end up just putting it in the PLC, like I always had in the past. I thought it would be a good opportunity to check out the built in functionality and save me some time, but like most other built in functions they just never seem to be or do exactly what you want from them.

So I'll just keep rolling my own.

Probably so. Especially if you ever intend to have more than one HMI. Storing the recipes in the PLC memory places your recipe values in a single, globally accessible repository, thereby avoiding the possibility of having multiple recipe data tables with differing values on different HMIs.
The possibility of this machine getting a second HMI is pretty much zero, but your point is well taken and definitely should be part of the consideration process.