RSLinx not Automatically Detecting Devices

DamianInRochester

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have serveral PCs all running RSLinx. Once I set the driver as Ethernet or EthernetIP and start the driver, it always automatically discovers all the devices on the network.

Doing exactly the same with a customers PC, Auto Discover will not work. I can establish connection by selecting "add device" and explicitly typing in the IP address. All firewalls are off. All antivirus are off. The first three octets of the PCs and all devices on the network match.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

I have serveral PCs all running RSLinx. Once I set the driver as Ethernet or EthernetIP and start the driver, it always automatically discovers all the devices on the network.

Doing exactly the same with a customers PC, Auto Discover will not work. I can establish connection by selecting "add device" and explicitly typing in the IP address. All firewalls are off. All antivirus are off. The first three octets of the PCs and all devices on the network match.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

There are two IP Drivers, which one did you select for your Customer?

AB_ETH you have to enter the Device IP Manually.
AB_ETHIP wil do Auto Discover.

Stu...

Hi Stu,
I have always used the ETH_IP driver. On the same system, both of my current PCs autodetect and communicate to everything just fine.

We tried using the ETH_IP driver on the customer's PC, and nothing auto detected.
So we deleted the ETH_IP driver and instead added the ETH driver and explicitly typed the IP in for each device. Communicates just fine.

Another oddity.........

We are using some Kinetix 300 drives as well. On my PC, when you get to the spot where it asks you what you wan to connect to, if I hit "discover" on my PC it automatically finds both drives. On the customer's PC, hitting discover does not find any drives. However, as with RSLinx, by typing in the IP explicitly it connects just fine.

Since the Kinetix 300 drives do not utilize RSLinx it would seem like something strange is going on with the LAN card, although all the setting appear fine and it has the most update drivers installed.

Very odd.

Thanks,

Damian

Most computers today have two ethernet adpaters: Wired and Wireless. Make sure when you configure the EtherNet/IP driver that you choose which ethernet adapter to tie the driver to. Do not leave it on Windows Default setting as it won't know which to use and it invariably picks the wrong one.

When you choose the Ethernet Devices driver it knows which to use based on the IP addresses manually entered.

Also be aware that only devices that are EtherNet/IP compatible will be discovered. Older devices not designed for this protocol will not be discovered but would show up in the Ethernet Devices after being manually entered.

OG

Hi OG,
Thanks for the tips. The LAN card, not the Wireless card, is definitely the one chosen when assigning the EIP driver.
All the devices we are looking for are new and EIP compatible. As I have stated further up, I have two other PCs inches away that autodetect everything just fine.

Thanks,
Damian

Does the computer in question have VPN software installed? I had conflicts with Checkpoint VPN software and had to go into Services and manually stop the two services it was using. This occurred just having the software, I was not actually using the VPN connection. My symptoms were just like yours. Ethernet Devices worked but EtherNet/IP didn't.

OG

OG,
No VPN software installed. But your idea enticed me to see what else was running. Found a couple of pieces of software that I suspected might be trying to re-direct IP requests. Uninstalled all the questionable software, Disabled the card, Re-enabled the card, and wouldn't you know it .......... the EIP driver is now working.

I wish I knew exactly which piece of software was causing it, but I feel better now that it works the way it should.

Many thanks to all of you whom replied!
Damian

OG,
No VPN software installed. But your idea enticed me to see what else was running. Found a couple of pieces of software that I suspected might be trying to re-direct IP requests. Uninstalled all the questionable software, Disabled the card, Re-enabled the card, and wouldn't you know it .......... the EIP driver is now working.

I wish I knew exactly which piece of software was causing it, but I feel better now that it works the way it should.

Many thanks to all of you whom replied!
Damian

Thanks for letting us know how it turned out, and what you found. Can you tell us what Software it was? It might save someone else in the future.

Stu.....