Master-Slave Protocol

kalle

Dear Sirs!

I have to inform you that in some area terms like Master-Slave is not considered politically correct.

The only communication principle that is allowed from now on, is "point-to-point" and Allen Bradley's "Producer and Consumer" (My plug to AB!)

Avoid also terms as: female and male when describing connector etc. It could be considered sexistic.

Avoid law suits!

sincerely

What I am talking about??? :confused:

Read this: http://www.reason.com/hitandrun/003490.shtml

This world is going crazy...., soon we have to wish merry christmas like Terry W. did it some years ago:

http://www.plcs.net/dcforum/DCForumID1/2114.html

I take my chances and wishes you all a nice weekend with no disclaimer! beerchug

There was mention of this over in the A-D forum. Thanks for posting it here, Karl... (y)

Additional thanks for the 'way back' link to Terry's Christmas (er..."Holiday") 'disclaimer'... :cool:

beerchug

-Eric

In the link that Kalle posted to Terry's alternative Christmas greeting, George Bradley said that he found a 20p coin and wanted to know what the inscription under the Queens head meant,

The letters DG REG FD stand for Dei Gratia Regina Fidei Defensor .

Translated to English:- "By the Grace of God Queen Defender of the Faith"

That insciption is on all British coins from 1p to £2 (1p, 2p, 5p, 10p, 20p, 50p, £1 and £2.)

Paul

Eric, you're welcome!

Mark Buskell said:
Maybe instead of Master-Slave, we should call it Master-Peasant.

Mark, ehh no comment since I am born as one....
But maybe we could call the master (regarding to communication) in short for:
"The organizer and initiative taker to communication on a bus system"
and the slave (also in short) for:
"The passive participator on a bus system. Shall only respond when talken to."

stevez said:
AC-DC this could also get one sued.
stevez. Please enlighten me. It's mine fault, not yours. I'm stupid.

LadderLogic said:
Yet all MMI's have become HMI's a few years ago. Never say never...
LadderLogic.
On these hills we still use the term MMI. Mainly because we can say it in Norwegian: MMI = Mann Maskin Interface.
Yeah interface is one of many english words that have been adopted in the norwegian language. Like service, computer etc etc.
The scandinavian countrys have come far with equality between the sexes, so terms/job titles etc should avoid using man or woman, but instead a *** neutral term. Maybe we also should use human instead of man..... But wait a minute, human in norwegian is "menneske". We can still use MMI!!!

Rick Densing said:
I still call them MMI's- Moron Machine Interface.
Rick.
There is a story from some years ago, about a company that delivered a PC based SCADA/MMI/HMI-(pick your term) system.
When the operator did an illegal command, an obvious one, the system gave an alarm with text: "Illegal command. bla,bla"
The 10th time this mistake was done, the system showed an new alarm text: "Operator stupid. Change operator!"
Of course it made some noise...
BTW. Nice avatar: "Troll picking nose". Sounds Scandinavian...

I see that Phil have inserted Santa in the heading of the page this year also. BTW who was it that invented Santa.. Coca Cola wasn't it...??

Just learnt today: from now on, my company will be referring to "male" and "female" terminals as "fixed" and "floating" respectively.

Oh shoot...

A couple of years ago, I had a big municpal customer to whom I was presenting a proposal for water pumping remote station automation. Their existing DCS uses Modbus RTU, so of course I explained how the DCS would be a Master and the other stations would be slaves.

"No, they won't", came an objection from one of the assembled County engineers.

"Pardon me ?" I asked. "Aren't you guys using Modbus ?"

"Yes, we're using Modbus, but that isn't acceptable".

"What isn't acceptable ?" (I was genuinely puzzled).

"That word".

Stunned silence on my part. It slowly dawned on me that the speaker was a native of Trinidad. I myself am a freckled Canadian.

"Um, well, we can call it Requester / Responder if you like".

It wasn't until this spring when I had this guy in a training class that he admitted he'd been pulling my leg. The County can somehow tell the difference between vile human enslavement and the Modbus protocol suite.

I brought this up with my Aunt this Thanksgiving. She thought that the industry should change the terminology, and that might somehow erase the term's etymological heritage. She's right; the term "slave" in English to refer to human chattel predates the Industrial Revolution by centuries. She saw nothing wrong with L.A. County's demand to change the labelling on all of their hard drives.

[Sigh.]

Last edited: