Program lost_@PLC5500 AB

pharma_plc17

We are not using a machine since five months.Today when we r going to start the machine program lost.PLC was in RUN mode.battary shows low fault.
How to prevent this loss of program.

Next time leave it powered up.

Next time make sure the battery is good.

Use a memory card.

What is the complete catalog number of your PLC?

Oh and welcome to the forum.

Hire Mickey or myself.
He is right I use a memory card on just about everything in the Logix family. Some of the new processors don't need it but I still use them where I can.

pharma_plc17,

The control logix 5000 platform requires 2 batteries.
one for the processor - i cannot remember the exact use
and one for battery backup- this is a rather large battery
used to keep the program in tact.

we did a system with just the plc battery and killed the power friday. Monday, the program was gone as you described.

regards,
james

That was a serious problem with L55 controllers. Even the external battery pack wasn't suitable for very long term backup.

L61 plus controllers are a bit more miserly when it comes to battery power consumption. However if any machine is going to be down for a long time period consideration must be given to program preservation.

This is my understanding.....

L5 series controllers utilise battery power during time of power-down.

L6 series controllers and later only use the battery to transfer RAM to Flash memory on power-down.

Neither system uses re-chargeable batteries, so.....

L5x : Battery life determined by cumulative time that power is off.

L6x (+) : Battery life determined by how many times the power is turned off.