Burner Controls

Kabir

I am wrapping up a project for a burner control, The system uses a CB70 Burner Controller and Honeywell DC 3004 Temperature controller.

My problem is I am used to burner modulation motors having connections for 24VAC Power and terminals B,R & W for connection of a varied resistance device Or - F + for 4-20mA signal when released to modulation, The Modulation motor on this piece of equipment has connections Y, T & G. I have been trying to obtain information online but perhaps its too old.

If anyone has information as to the function of this motor it would be very helpful.

There's one motor winding for clockwise rotation, a separate winding for counter clockwise rotation. Note on the wiring diagram (old Barber Colman, but I suspect that they're all similar, functionally) how there's common that connects to one side of each of the motor windings.

Use an ohm meter to find the common, which will have a similar resistance common-across-the-winding for each of the two windings. You're trying to identify the common, X below, and 2 or 3, the other end of the windings for that motor.

j0gzo7.jpg

you're should have three different "subsystems" within the burner actuator.

1) The circuit for the actuator motor.
2) The limit switches to detect the end limits of the actuator travel.
3) a three wire potentiometer to provide feedback as to the position of the actuator.

You should be able to set your Honeywell controller up for pulse which will close a contact for open and one for close based on what you have your temperature setpoint set to.

If your controller is of the analog type, then the 4-20ma signal will determine the position that the actuator should be set to.

You'll have to pull the actuator apart to see what you have.

Post photos of it for all to see.

Ok perhaps later on today I would do some resistance checks on the motor to determine the COM, CCW, CW rotation, Y,T & G should be the resistance feedback to the controller. I would assume that this means I would have to connect the Motor COM to the 24VAC transformer, the other end of the Transformer to the COM terminal of the Flame Controller (CB70), Motor CW to the High Fire on the Flame Controllers as well as Pulse High on the Temperature Controller (Same For CCW & Low Fire), Modulate of the Flame Controller to supply power to the contacts of of the Pulse output on the Temperature controller.