Part # for Resistive / capaitive devices

rguimond

Lifetime Supporting Member
Can anyone provide a part # for a suitable RC device to protect PLC outputs from damage when solenoid coil fields collapse? There must be a thousand installed in the plant, but I can't find a single one with a marking. They're blue, slightly smaller than a nickle.

Can anyone provide a part # for a suitable RC device to protect PLC outputs from damage when solenoid coil fields collapse? There must be a thousand installed in the plant, but I can't find a single one with a marking. They're blue, slightly smaller than a nickle.

The little blue things sound like MOVs to me.
As for RC suppressors, we use a lot of Electrocube devices. I'm not sure about the exact part numbers though.

You're right. I googled MOV after I read your reply. They look exactly like what I was referring to.

In your opinion, are these suitable for the intended purpose?

Install a reverse biased diode across the solenoid terminals( assuming a dc solenoid) provided that you do not invalidate the solenoid hazardous area certificate if it has one. I suppose that you could also connect the diode across the plc output for that matter.