Cimplicity Workbench 8.1 <- IGS 7.54 communication question

Ken Roach

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I hope there are some Cimplicity users who can help me out today.

I'm on a site with Cimplicity 8.1 and a bunch of GE 90-30 controllers... all that's fine. They've installed a ControlLogix and bought GE's "Industrial Gateway Server", which is a rebadged copy of Kepware's KEPServerEX, to communicate with the ControlLogix.

We can use IGS/KEPServer as an ordinary OPC Server; I am very familiar with KEPServerEX as a conventional OPC DA server.

But the sales literature all said that when you buy IGS from GE, that it has a native connection between IGS and Cimplicity.

The Help file for IGS/KEPServer doesn't mention Cimplicity after the first page. It has instructions about configuring iFix, but not Cimplicity. The distributor we bought it from told us to use OPC, but the whole point of buying it from them was to take advantage of the "direct driver".

Has anyone on the Forum used Cimplicity's "native" connection to IGS ?

I'm starting to think that the "native" connection is for iFIX only, and that the sales literature, powerpoint presentations, and distributor, plus a bit of wishful thinking, led us to assume (there's that word) that there was a "native" connection between Cimplicity and IGS.

Bump ! I've spent a few hours learning the QTS "AN-X" bridge between EtherNet/IP and GENius bus. It's really neat and easy to configure.

So I'm getting back to this issue. I had hoped to not have to create ControlLogix tags, then create KepServer tags, then create Cimplicity Points.

Has anyone here on the forum used IGS with Cimplicity ?

Last bump... I'm hoping somebody who has used IGS with Cimplicity will see this. Otherwise it will sink into obscurity in the depths of the MrPLC archive. :)