Transfer Revision Notes

The Plc Kid

I need to find out if there is a way to transfer revision notes from one .RSS file to another. we have 2 files for a particular machine with half the rev notes in one and half in another because i presume someone before my time did a upload and transfered comments and saved a new file name. Is there any way to combine the revision notes from both files into the most recent file?

Rs logix 500 BTW

I would simply insert some dummy revision notes in the file you intend to keep (perform a save repeatedly until you get enough new rev notes in the file).

Then Open the other file with another instance of RSLogix500.

Go to Edit on the menu bar and choose Revision Notes from the drop down list. Do this for both instances.

Copy and paste the notes from one to the other.

There is probably a way to edit the .rss files directly, but that might expose you to risk of corruption.

From the help files:
Note the last sentence. Looks like there is no way to get to it other then copy them and then paste to the other project. Thats my take on it.

Revision History, viewing

Examining a project file's revision notes (History) can help you to identify changes that you made to the program since the last time the file was saved. This can be a valuable feature when troubleshooting an RSLogix project.
With a project opened, click the Edit menu item and then click Revision Notes. The following options are available on this dialog box.

• Use the Previous and Next buttons to view the revision notes.
  • Modify, add or remove (via the backspace key on your keyboard) information from any notes and then click Accept to keep your changes. Do not use the Delete button on the dialog box to remove only portions of text. The Delete button removes the entire log entry.
  • Click Delete to remove the entire note from the log. The note deleted is the note indicated at Revision: on the upper portion of the display. Deleted notes cannot be retrieved.
  • Click OK to save any changes an exit the window.
The Revision History is saved with the .RSS file.

You can open RSS files w/ 7-zip. I would make copies of the 2 files in question you want to work with. Then use 7-zip to extract the Revision Notes folder from the old file and replace into the new one. Worth a shot at least.