Redlion G3 to SLC500 fixed IO PLC

TConnolly

Lifetime Supporting Member
I've got an AB 1747-L20 fixed IO SLC5/00 that I need to interface an HMI to, the fixed SLC 5/00 only has DH-485 communication.

Since we use lots of G306s here I wanted to use one one of those even though its a little overkill, but in my inquiries with Red Lion I am informed that the G3 does not generate a token so it won't communicate with one of the 5/00 unless something else first generates the token.

Since I really don't have time to upgrade the PLC what was supposed to be a quick and dirty task is turning into a PITA project and I really want to get on bad side of the female supervisor over that area if you know what I mean.

Since I'm pretty darn sure I'm not the first one to ever want to do this I'm asking the board since someone here has probably done this. Is there a work around, for example, would a NET-AIC work between? Looking for ideas.

As an alternative I-ve also looked at the C-More. How well doe is play with a SLC 5/00?

In a recent thread the OP went for the C-More and said it worked fine. I think Mike Granby said then that he was going to try to get something done to allow the use of the G3 with the fixed SLC, 5/01, and 5/03. Maybe losing another customer would spur them on, and by the time I get around to adding HMIs to my 5/01 and 5/02 out here, I will be able to use a G3.

EDIT: Here's the other thread:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=57286

I ran into the same thing, and the only work around I've heard of is have a PC on the DH-485 network. Aparently it will pass the enable token and start the communication. But if you disconnect PC, comms stop. The Automation Direct CMore panel does work fine with the brick PLC's, as well as the 5/01 and 5/02.

If Redlion does decide to fix this limitation, that would be great. I don't expect it since those PLC's are getting close to the end of their life expectancy. I know they will last longer, but most are being upgraded.

Thanks everyone for the info. I also got the same back from Redlion that there isn't a work around.

I've only got one C-More and probably close to a dozen G306s so I would rather go with another G3. Any other PLC and the G3 would be a slam dunk but I'm not inclined to balloon the project to include a PLC swap.

Sorry Mike and Dan - I really prefer the G3, but it looks like C-More wins this one.

cant you dump the fixed SLC and chuck in a siemens s7-1200 then use the G3, the siemens are pretty cheap

Did you try that fixed I/O? I thought that the fixed worked but not the 5/01. It might be worth a shot. If you have another device on the network like a 5/03 it will generate the ticket passing for you.

Sorry Jesse - the C-More will be in my hands tomorrow morning. The screens are already created. I'll swap it in, download, and be done with it - I've already spent too much time on it.

For the record, I'm not sure if its my unfamiliarity with the C-More or not, but I thought it was a PITA to get it to do what I wanted to do, it would have been much easier with RedLion's scripting language. At any rate its better than what it replaced.

If you can fix it, please do. It might help the next guy out. If it makes you feel any better, I like the G3 even more after futzing around with the C-More, keep up the good work.