RSlogix 5 online view only

Kelvinator

Is there a way to setup RSlogix 5 program to go online only to troubleshoot but not be able to edit or force anything?
I know you can do this under rsview but it lacks ability.

PLC-5 supports up to 4 privilege levels. You can assign what users can and cannot do based on their login class.

Look in the Project Tree under the Controller folder. I believe your PLC-5 needs to be a minimum of Series B.

OG

RSLadder 5 ships with RSLinx and RSView. Its an active X component, so if you embed it on an RSView screen and configure it properly it works pretty well. If you will use page titles in your RSLogix 5 program you can make navigation in RSLadder 5 quite a bit easier. The RSLadder object model can be accessed in VBA to add more functionality to it.

But doesn't RSLinx have to have a license (not Lite) to view the ladder code with RSLadder? I know if RSView32 is installed on the same computer it will activate it, but the OP never mentioned RSView32.

OG

PLC-5 supports up to 4 privilege levels. You can assign what users can and cannot do based on their login class.

Don't forget to write your passwords on a sticky note and attach it to the bottom of the screen.
icon10.gif

It should look similar to this when done correctly.
P2230084.JPG

been there - seen that ...

I literally laughed so loud at todster's picture that my wife came back to see what was going on ... this is EXACTLY what I've seen in the past ...

the "password" system recommended by my distinguished colleague Operaghost IS indeed a good one ... unfortunately the HUMANS who have to deal with it will quickly find ways to bypass it ...

I've had customers ask me for help on setting up something like this – and I always ask them "How do you plan to discipline the employees who violate the security features?" ... if the answer is "nothing" – then I politely ask them not to waste my time – or theirs – because without discipline, the system will turn out to be much more trouble than it's worth ...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=147742&postcount=4

thanks for the picture todster – it started my day off with a laugh ...

Last edited:
RSLogix 5 be made not to edit PLC online

Ok as for the password idea that was not a option for my case. The problem I have is we cannot have a pc attached to a machine that can alter the PLC program but we can have a pc to view ladder logic online as long as it can never be able to edit PLC. If we need to make programing changes were to use a laptop thats tied to the factory talk system so they now whos doing what. So the question is can RSlogix 5 be fixed to monitor online ladder only?

I seem to remember seing something about factory talk assets using the security to set up differant groups with privalages where as they could monitor with out being able to make changes also whether or not they needed a password

Well, you could turn the key switches to run and then gather all the keys from the PLC-5 processors. Otherwise, I think you will have to pursue using RSLadder inside of another piece of software. The RSLadder ActiveX object can be included in your HMI program (like RSView32) if you have one. It can also be inserted into a MS Office file like an Excel spreadsheet.

Of course if anyone brings in a PC that has RSLogix on it you have just bypassed your security.

Using the Passwords and Privileges puts the security in the PLC instead of in the computer.

OG

I literally laughed so loud at todster's picture that my wife came back to see what was going on ... this is EXACTLY what I've seen in the past ...

the "password" system recommended by my distinguished colleague Operaghost IS indeed a good one ... unfortunately the HUMANS who have to deal with it will quickly find ways to bypass it ...

I've had customers ask me for help on setting up something like this – and I always ask them "How do you plan to discipline the employees who violate the security features?" ... if the answer is "nothing" – then I politely ask them not to waste my time – or theirs – because without discipline, the system will turn out to be much more trouble than it's worth ...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=147742&postcount=4

thanks for the picture todster – it started my day off with a laugh ...
The thanks is good but I was actually shooting for a discount.o_O