migrating rsview SE dist/FTVsite CPR7 to CPR9

AndrewB

hi all

I've been lucky enough to land the task of migrating a rsview CPR7 (version 4) SE distributed application to CPR9SR3 Factory talk View Site edition as we have some new PC's to replace the old ones.

This is proving to be not so straight forward.

I have the network up and running and factory talk directory established, however im struggling to work out what to do regarding importing a project (It fails to import as a HMI server or project)

before i ring rockwell tech connect (we are in support) i thought i might try here for someone thats actaully done it that can give me a heads up.

thanks in advance

Try this...
Use the "HMI Server Backup and Restore Utility" (You may have to DL it from Rockwell) on the 4.xx.xxx.xxxx application. Backup the application, probably Excluding Datasets, or it takes FOREVER. This handy utility actually just copies the HMI Server directory somewhere else, but it takes 40 times longer then doing it manually.

On the FTView 6.xx.xxx Server box (don't hurt yourself and install ANY Rockwell patches or other Rockwell Software to that machine or it's clients), load the full FTView disk, Studio included. Temporarily transfer your studio license if you have to (or use an old EVRSI license for Studio instead of the garbageware that is FactoryTalk Activation and Frustration), and fire up Studio to create a New, Distributed, Application (I'm assuming this is distributed, use stand-alone if not).
If you are lucky, and aren't using a modern operating system (something released in the past 5 or 6 years), Studio might actually not crash.

Name your NEW application exactly the same as the one you want to transfer, then save everything and exit Studio.

Now, drill down the insane directory path until you find the new, blank application folder. Delete everything in it except for the .SED file in the root of the directory.

Copy everything from your backed-up HMI server from the 4.xx.xxx.xxxx installation EXCEPT ITS .SED FILE.

Reboot (always a good thing when dealing with FT View), and fire up Studio again. If you are still lucky, it should go through 'Converting application', even though it doesn't necessarily do anything except take a long time. Try to open up a display, if you can congratulations, you are half way there.

Now, all you need to do is set up your IO Topics in RSLinx Classic or a nice OPC Server or your choice [if you plan to use the nice, but poorly described and buggy FT Alarms and Events, you need to set up your IO Topic sin Linx Enterprise].

Next set up your services for your preferred startup type.

Finally, set up your security, ALWAYS leaving in some local user with administrator access as a back door (For FTView, I like using 'User: dilbert pw: isright'.

Reboot once more, and try to configure a client.

Good luck!

yes distributed. yes modern OS (win7) <- almost seems too easy so far,

you are the MAN !!

T H A N K Y O U (in advance)

incidently i ran rockwell tech support who gave me tech note 55703. the guy on the phone had no idea

well im about 1/3rd of the way

1. nothing appears in the project tree when using the method about (yes the names are the same)
trying to import screens gives me object not found :( then the display im trying to import too dissapears and says object not found

2. i cant get a remote client to find any displays in the client setup screen but it will happily find the ftview server and hmi server!

still battling on.

VMwares looking like a good option right now

Win 7 may cause issues. I know for a fact that FTView SE Does Not Play Nicely with Windows Server 2008.

I was able to get my app to run there with the method I described above, and on 5.10.something (CPR9-SR2), but it was not editable at all (same issue, "That Object Does Not Exist"). As soon as Vers. 6 came out, I installed that, and got most everything to work (except Studio, Studio crashes hard on that box, and of course, Rockwell Support is clueless).

Rebooting (Often) is essential. If worse comes to worse, format, and do a complete reinstall of Windows. DO NOT PATCH Windows. Install FTView, and whatever IT thinks it requires .Net wise.

Then, do not run ANYTHING ROCKWELL until you are completely done with the installation, and have rebooted. Do create both Local and Network directories though.

well ive had a big fail on version 6. all installed up fine.
studio is being a #$%@#! just cant make any displays as i get object not found. nice.cant import anything from v4 project. says "error" thats all on win 7.

clients install fine and can see the network factory talk directory but not the server. joy

i have a new dell blade server here to install to which is supposed to be the hmi server. i cant even install factory talk view to it at all. install crashes. had 2k8 that wouldnt do workgroups (IT dept insistint i dont use active directory), went to 2k3 now cant install anything.

rockwell will be getting a nice phone call when i get a free hour. in the mean time i have to pray the existing server doesnt crash (im scared)

Oh, boy. Lucky me...I get to write a FTVSE//RSView SE//FactoryRockPaperScissors (or make up your own new name.....rockwell does) application.

Wow.

total **** so far for me too.

well ive had a big fail on version 6. all installed up fine.
studio is being a #$%@#! just cant make any displays as i get object not found. nice.cant import anything from v4 project. says "error" thats all on win 7.

clients install fine and can see the network factory talk directory but not the server. joy

i have a new dell blade server here to install to which is supposed to be the hmi server. i cant even install factory talk view to it at all. install crashes. had 2k8 that wouldnt do workgroups (IT dept insistint i dont use active directory), went to 2k3 now cant install anything.

rockwell will be getting a nice phone call when i get a free hour. in the mean time i have to pray the existing server doesnt crash (im scared)

i dont have a problem with the software ONCE its running.
just getting it running is ridiculas. I still havent got this one going.

cant import any of my old stuff and have studio run, factory talk cant see the project.

talked to rockwell about them installing it for me and getting my project running. no worries but the price OMG.still working on that one

Rockwell won't be able to do it either, at any price. That I know.

Have you gone as far as to try to manually import every single display from another project? (Right-click "Displays" and select "Add component into application" ?

You still do need to create a completely new application, maybe with a dummy display, and make sure that runs and is editable. If you can't do that, then they typical Rockwell answer is "That's a Windows problem. Uninstall, Format, try again, thanks for calling".

They should buy a real HMI company and start over.

Oh, boy. Lucky me...I get to write a FTVSE//RSView SE//FactoryRockPaperScissors (or make up your own new name.....rockwell does) application.

Wow.

total **** so far for me too.

I feel your pain.
The best bet is (always) to install it on a VM, and if you manage to get it running, make a backup of the VM and hide it. If you ever need to change computers out, just copy back the VM image. Reinstalling FTView is never good on new computers.

Also, never patch it or upgrade it once it's running. That is another disaster of crashing and incompatibility.