I/P address of 1734-AENT/A

Adam303

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi, I have some issues with configuring the adapetr with fixed I/p address. I have the thumb wheel switches set to 999. In BootP I can assign the Ip address but cannot disable BootP. Adapter is communicating on the net work but when I reset the power to the adapter it's asking for a new IP. I try to disable BootP in Logix 5000 but I get an error message. Please help.

BootP.jpg

The "Disable BOOTP/DHCP" button in the BOOTP/DHCP Utility seldom works for me. I don't know if it's a Windows Firewall thing or something about the devices themselves; I'd have to do a bunch of sleuthing to find out.

Instead try using RSLinx Classic, right-clicking on the 1734-AENT in the RSWho Browse view and selecting "Module Configuration". That ought to launch the universal Ethernet module configuration applet (it might even be labeled 1756-ENBT Configuration) and let you use a check-box to disable BOOTP/DHCP.

Another idea; the CIP error might be because it has an I/O connection running and it won't allow changed to the TCP/IP Object while the Connection Object is active.

Disconnect the 1756-ENBT, or Inhibit the I/O connection, then try again.

Thanks Ken I disabled BOOTP/DHCP. I had to reset the module 888 on the thumb wheel and the bootP finaly disbled. Thanks

I'm surprised you had to do that, but I'm glad you got it going.

One thing I'd like to mention; I see that you selected 100 Mb/s speed with Half Duplex on the Ethernet port of the 1734-AENT.

Unless you specifically have a half-duplex-only 100Mb/s device connected (like some fiber/copper converters), you probably want to stick with Auto-Negotiate.

1734-aent can't disable dhcp

I'm having the exact same issue as adam. I cant disable dhcp in linx or from the comm tree in 5000. I have the thumbwheel set to 999 right now, when i power down and set thumbwheel to 89, it defaults to 192.168.1.89 instead of my network .0.89.

Any help greatly appreciated

Next step

Ok.... I defaulted via 888 using the thumbwheel. I now have the proper ip address and no dhcp. I can see the point i/o in 5000, no faults, i can force bits, etc. problem is, i'm still @ 999 on the thumbwheel. When i change wheel to my prefix (.89) i lose the point i/o in the comm tree.

Ugh

Adam's step was to reset the module to defaults by setting the thumbwheel to 888 and cycling power, then returning to the standard configuration steps.

Chapter 3 of the 1734-AENT User Manual describes how the thumbwheel address works:

999 = Use nonvolatile stored IP configuration
888 = Reset to Defaults
001 - 254 = Use 192.168.1.xxx

Try doing what Adam did, and post details if you don't get the same result.

I completed those steps and they seem to have worked, i see the node when the point i/o is set to "999". The problem i have now is that i can't see the node when i change the thumbwheel to "89" which should coincide with my 192.168.0.89 address.

I see that the gateway address is set to 192.168.0.88 which is the address of my computer. Is that an error in my dhcp setup?

Lightbulb!!!! I just realized that once you've flashed with bootp / dhcp you LEAVE THE THUMBWHEEL ON 999! You would think i would have got that part after reading the manual 10x today.... Thanks Ken. Appreciate the help, reading the wording in your response is what triggered the hamster to jump back on the wheel

I completed those steps and they seem to have worked, i see the node when the point i/o is set to "999". The problem i have now is that i can't see the node when i change the thumbwheel to "89" which should coincide with my 192.168.0.89 address.

I see that the gateway address is set to 192.168.0.88 which is the address of my computer. Is that an error in my dhcp setup?

Reread Ken's Post. Following the steps you describe will set the AENT IP Address to 192.168.1.89.

Stu....

Ok.... I defaulted via 888 using the thumbwheel. I now have the proper ip address and no dhcp. I can see the point i/o in 5000, no faults, i can force bits, etc. problem is, i'm still @ 999 on the thumbwheel. When i change wheel to my prefix (.89) i lose the point i/o in the comm tree.

Ugh

Go back to 888.

Get it set and working and saved.

Power down.

Switch to 999.

Power up.

You want a 0 in the 3rd octet, so leave it at 999. Don't set it at anything but 888 or 999 unless you can conform to 192.168.1.xx

I recommend power cycling it again (leave it off a full 30 seconds, see that it shows missing in RSLogix), and make sure it comes back up "happy".

Paul

Last edited:
Thanks Ken, setting up stubborn 1734-AENTR

This article will set you straight: (I wasted 6 hours trying everything under the sun, Got frustrated went to bed and followed this article. This is what I did to make it work.

1. disconnect processor
2. 999 on power up
3. change to 888 (with power on)
4. use Boot IP/ DHCP tool, wait until Module is Discovered
5. Set up new IP Address in Boot IP/ DHCP tool.
6. Change Switches to 999 (with power on)
7. Power cycle module (30 Seconds)

Done(y)