Micrologix Series ?

mrowen

Hope this isn't too trivial of a question. I am relatively new to actually programming plcs and have a need to play around a bit. Looking at picking up a micrologix unit off ebay. I notice that there are different "series" units such as "c" or "e". Can anyone explain or point me to a website that describes the differences. Or is it just a older versus newer stuff.

Also, are there any places to buy (online would be nice) the micrologix plcs for something less than the list price posted on AB's site?

Many thanks,
Mike

A-B sells a 10-point MicroLogix 1000 controller for $99 and the software that programs it (and only the 10-point controller) is free. So that's your low-dollar way to get into A-B controllers.

To answer the original question, the Series Letter on an A-B product changes when the function of the device or it's actual hardware design changes. In the MicroLogix 1000 product line, the only important change was in Series C, when the DF1 Half-Duplex protocol was added to the controller. Most folks don't use that feature except for remote telemetry applications.

One more thing; nobody pays list for A-B controllers. It's an anachronism from the Nixon days that A-B list prices are higher than the prices you'd pay even over-the-counter at a dealer. That's one o the reasons those snarky Automation Direct ads can show such startling disparities in list prices; the A-B list price is at least 20% higher than what you'll really pay, even as a retail customer.

Unless A-B is dominant in your particular market, buying a used MicroLogix 1000 and RSLogix 500 Starter ($500) is slightly steep to learn about PLC's in general. I'm sure some other members will post their best "starter" controller and software setup.

I am going to go with Ken but in another aspect. Since you are in the US and it seems you are familiar with AB already. I gathered this because you were looking at Micrologix. Get the $99 10 point version, the software covers enough ground to familiarize you with RSLogix500 and its free.

Yes there may be other brands that can show a better price comparison but if you are working in an environment that already uses AB then its good to learn on AB.

I'm not completely new to plcs, just never been involved with actually developing large programs. I already picked up a 1000 with 16 I/O for next to nothing on ebay. It is a series E. No problems what so ever. Just curious what the differences were in the different series since I now want more I/O and am looking at getting another unit. As for software, I already have that.