PLC Fault Light will not stop blinking.....

pdmigs

I am trying to set up a SLC503. A PC is hooked up using the 1747-PIC. RS links cannot see the PLC. The fault light on the PLC is blinking. It will not reset upon a power down cycle.
My question is... I have heard of a way to remove the CPU card and by jumping the right parts the CPU memory and settings get reset. Does any one know how to do this or any other way??

First, with the unit on, try rotating the key switch through all three positions. If that doesn't work then you can reset the processor. This will remove the program and return the processor to it's original factory setup. Disconnect the battery leads attached to the PCB. Locate two raised points on the foil side of the circuit board labeled GND and VBB. It's in the upper right-hand portion of the board, it will take a little effort to find it. Short the two points together for about a minute. Remove the short, re-attach the battery, re-install, power up and try to communicate with it. If this doesn't solve your problem then you've probably got damaged processor.

pdmigs,

You mentioned you were trying to set up a SLC5/03. To me, this sounds like you have yet to load a program into it. I am even more inclined to think that is the case since you mentioned that the fault light is flashing, which is normal for a SLC out of the box until you establish comms and download a program. That being said, it sounds like you don't have either the correct RSLinx driver set up or it is set up incorrectly. If you're having trouble communicating with the PIC driver, try connecting to the SLC's serial port and configuring the DF1 serial driver.

Good Luck,
Jeff

I think Jeff is absolutely right - there is likely no program in the SLC. Whether it is brand new, or a memory corruption type fault cleared the program, the behavior that you describe is consistent with no active program.

If you are certain that a program did exist, it is possible that a major fault condition is active and must be properly cleared before you are able to run again. As an example, if you have an integer value getting a value greater than 32767, then - until the conditions that cause that are cleared you will always be in fault.

A final thought: if you are having trouble with the PIC (which is notorious for problems), I'd recommend what Jeff did: try going on-line using your other communication port.

Good luck,

Marc

I have found that placing a little piece of electrical tape over the light gets rid of that annoying blinking problem every time. :D

(Sorry...I just couldn't resist!)

May be the Battery

Thanks for the Ideas. I turned switch (again) and still nothing. I unplugged the battery and shorted the grd vbb nodes and still nothing. Then I switched the AIC module and was able to communicate, but alas it said that it was currupted and that it may just be the battery. I will try that next. Thanks again for all the help.
Peter :oops:

Peter,

Shorting the pins (I think for more than 1 minute - search the forum, there are some good posts on this) will clear the active program and reset the SLC to its factory shipped state - with no program active. With no program active, the fault light will blink.

Marc