Wire Colours in CA/US

seppoalanen

Hi there, I wonder what are suitable wiring colours in
US/California:

1. 480V, 60Hz supply in MCC/PLC cubicle (BLK in EU)
2. Transformer 480/115V/1500VA (BLK/BLK)
3. 115V, 60Hz cubicle lights, sockets, ventilation/cooler (BLK)
4. 115VAC control (RED)
5. 480VAC/24VDC Power unit (BLK/BLK)
6. 24VDC supply from power to fuses (BLK)
7. 24VDC for field devices as photocells (BLU)
8. 24VDC signal wires to PLC I/O-units (gray or blue)
9. Analog signal wires to PLC I/O-units (WHT)

I would use BLK for 480V, RED for 115V, BLU for 24V (power and signals), and would not use WHT for anything except neutral.
I would use PINK for analog, or use shielded cable. Multi-conductor cable colors are typically exempted from color rules.

Last edited:
I think it might be a good idea to check with the end customer and to have them sign on it. While Sergey's information is most certainly true for many US manufacturers, European wire colors are generally accepted without a problem and most US electricians know 'brown-blue-black' just as well.

Depending on the customer, the adherence to the US standrads may be strict or not very strict: most of these standards do not have legally binding effect like European ones do - that are rather good practices.

I refrained from commenting having never been to California. There are some very basic dos and don't when it comes to color, but I am not sure that local codes would be more important than customer preference. This subject has come up a few times, and there are always a variety of opinions, and those who can cite codes for certain situations.

I agree with LadderLogic. Check with the customer and see what they want, and follow the basic dos and don't for green and white.

Every State seems to have there own little pet way of doing things...I built a panel here in KY, to be used in an emergency, short term concrete block plant that my boss way taking to FL after a big storm ( Andrew) a few years back...We always use BOY (Brown, Orange, Yellow ) for 480 v 3 phase in our KY plants...Fl will not allow Orange to be used for anything except system inter-connect...so had to rewire all the panels and all the pre-run cables, taking out the orange and pulling in PURPLE...so much for a fast install....o_O

Hmm, doesn't the NEC say that orange should be used for the high leg on a three phase system with a center tapped neutral? What does Florida use for that?

Hmm, doesn't the NEC say that orange should be used for the high leg on a three phase system with a center tapped neutral? What does Florida use for that?

Yup it sure does call for orange on the wildleg on delta 3 phase with centertap to provide 120 and 240.

It does create a conflict with Brown Orange Yellow used for 460 three phase does it not?

208 / 240 3 phase seems to be commonly Black Red Blue.

I tend to get a little confused on all this since the Navy taught me black red white - ABC - 123 for three phase. That was back when ships were of wood and manned by men of iron.

Dan Bentler