Rs 485

Donnchadh

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all

I have a lahuer screen connected to a Allen Bradley SLC5/03
with a RJ 45 connection. There are only 2 cores used and I was hoping that I connect it to a serial port in SLC5/05 if I set up the port as a 485.
If anyone knows if I can do this would you also know which pins to connect to. I was going to connect it to pins 2 and 3 but not sure if this would work.

Thanks again to everyone

Donnchadh K

Reading that thread may help you distinguish between Data Highway 485 (the protocol) and RS-485 (the electrical signalling method).

To connect that display to an SLC-5/05, you need a signal converter. The Allen-Bradley 1761-NET-AIC is ideal.

There should be three (3) total wires between your display and the SLC-5/03 port; Data A, Data B, and Data Common. It's possible that your display doesn't have a dedicated Data Common, in which case it's probably using the shield or Ground.

The 1761-NET-AIC has a screw terminal block to land the Data A, Data B and Data Common wires onto, then you can connect it using an ordinary null-modem type cable (1761-CBL-PM02 or 1747-CP3) to the SLC-5/05 serial port.

Hi BB and Ken

The AIC worked perfect and I now know what the AIC is for and where I would use it. I had an old one that I had removed from a plc panel, must be 3 years now.

I am replacing the 5/03 with a 5/05 and a Panel view Plus 1000.
The AIC is only a temp til the operators and tech are happy with the new screen ( a just incase)

Thanks again for your time and reply.

Donnchadh K