Floating Point Data File Question

ceilingwalker

Lifetime Supporting Member
Good day all. I have an RTD module (1746-NR4) and have it config'd and running. I have the input as I:5.2. I have an instruction to MOV that input to a floating point data file. It is reading "781.0" degrees. It is actually 78.1 degrees. I wanted to know if there is a configuration parameter that I can set to have it display the 78.1 degree's, not the 781.0 degree's. I know I can use a DIV to move the decimal point, I just wanted to know if there is another way? Thank you much.

The RTD module is providing excellent accuracy to your program.

If you wish to ignore the final figure then the division is the best way. Instead of the MOV just use a DIV command with a divisor of 10 and use an integer (N register) as the destination.

You use the word 'display'. If the object is to have an HMI show the temperature with the decimal in the appropriate point then most displays can move the decimal point by math if appropriate. If this is the case then just MOV the analog value to an integer data location, don't do the DIV. Keep all the information you can.

Last edited:
Check the manual for your module. The 1746 thermocouple module had a configuration bit that allowed you to choose engineering units or engineering units x 10. I haven't used th 1746 RTD module but it might just have the same feature. Check the manual.

Keep the precision

And, if you don't need floats for convenience elsewhere, just label the integer word address as "Degrees x 10" and leave it in integer form, scaling as needed for any connected HMI by simply moving the decimal point or dividing by ten in the HMI database.

If you do need the convenience of floats then replaace your MOV with a DIVide by ten (or MUL 0.1) to map the data from I:s.w to Fy:x and fix the units in one step.

The pic shows where data format is set up using the output words for the RTD slot.

1746-RTD-Data Format 000.png

Last edited: