ControlLogix CompactFlash Cards...

daba

Lifetime Supporting Member
Does anyone know if Sandisk Ultra CF cards work in 1756-L62/B F/W 17.3? I thought a CF card was a CF card.....

It doesn't seem to like it, won't let me "Store" the application - At the end of the "Store" attempt the controller major-faults, giving error 7,40 "Store to Nonvolatile memory failed".

Then a few seconds after that there is also the error 7,42 "Load from nonvolatile memory failed due to controller revision mismatch", even though Load Image is set to "User Initiated"

There is nothing on the card, and it is formatted FAT16.

I bought 3 of thee small 2gig cards when I could find them. 2 of these cards worked in CLX processors. 1 of them only worked twice then failed.

Moe sure it is 2 gig or smaller

Only few 3-rd party cards work reliably with L6x
From my experience most don't work at all or work few times and failng after that.

Check TN 50668

Cf != cf

I am amazed at how much difference there is at a low level among CF cards. The Logix FAT16 driver must be very narrowly aimed at a specific chipset.

Other than the A-B branded cards, I would recommend SanDisk's smallest "industrial" Single Level Cell type (not conventional Multi-Level Cell). Here's a nice brief analysis on the differences.

A couple of years ago I bought a three-pack of SanDisk cards. Two of them turned out to have Hitachi chipsets, and the third had a Samsung chipset. In the same packet !

Bunny Huang did a brilliant teardown and investigation into flash memory card irregularities that I found fascinating.

A-B only go up to 128MB with their "tested and guaranteed to work" offerings.

I am looking at "Controller Logging", which is capable of writing fairly substantial info.

From the "Logix5000 Controllers Information and Status" publication 165-PM015C-EN-P, October 2009.....

Rockwell Automation said:
....The log file will be appended to until it reaches a size greater than 1MB. At that point, the next write causes a new file to be created with the next sequence number.

Once there are 1000 files larger than 1MB no more logs will be created....

I'd like to know how they fit 1GB onto a 128MB card !! :confused:

I'm concluding that we need the SLC type I cards for ControlLogix then?

Just ordered a Transcend TS2GCF100I off of eBay !

I'll let you know if it works....

We just avoided the risk and bought our Logix CF Cards from A/B...what's a hundred extra dollars compared to the cost of downtime?

Now for HMI CF cards, I will use el cheapo anytime, but for a controller backup, there's not any real saving by doing that.

I don't want it for controller backup, but for the "Controller Logging" functionality.

Doesn't it seem odd that the logging will support 1GB of files, when they only sell max. 128MB. Then tell you in the K/B that third-party memory cards are "not recommended" !

But bear in mind SD cards can be flaky too. I had all sorts of trouble getting a SD card for my phone that didn't cause it too lock or become completely unusable. The advertised class ratings are useless. The Class 2 I have now easily beats the Class 4 unit I tried and the Class 10 I tried wouldn't even let my phone work.

As for why the documentation states 1000 files...maybe that larger capacity was intended at some point and then shelved.

OG

I'm concluding that we need the SLC type I cards for ControlLogix then?

Just ordered a Transcend TS2GCF100I off of eBay !

I'll let you know if it works....

In and working !
Keeping fingers crossed that it continues to do so.....

I'm certain the trick is to make sure that the cards are SLC type as well....