Using pointers in GX IEC Developer

cmulder

Hi all,

The thing I'm trying to achieve is actually quite difficult to explain, but since there's no use posting this topic if I can't explain, I'll give it a go anyway...

I have created a DUT ("DUTDigitalInput") consisting of 4 BOOL's. The DUT represents one digital input, with extra information that can be used to "overrule" the input via software, for instance during commissioning.
In the GVL I have defined a number of digital inputs, each of the type DUTDigitalInput.

Now I would like to create an FB where I can address each variable defined in the GVL one-by-one to check whether it has to be overruled or not. Of course I would prefer not to call them by name or even address. Instead I would like to input the startaddress and number of inputs in the FB, and internally in the FB I can then address the correct variable.

My guess is I have to use pointers for this, but I do not really know how to create and use these in GX IEC Developer. Any help would be much appreciated.

My apologies if it isn't exactly my explanation isn't exactly clear. I have tried to explain as good as possible.

Thanks in advance,
Caspar

Hi cmulder,

Perhaps you may want to consider those two additional access levels :
- When handling one element : initialize your FB by copying your DUT var in some one-dimensional array
- When handling multiple elements and indexing both var and data units in the var : why not immediately build some two-dimensional array used as a common recipient for all your values ?

Regards
Laurent

Peter,
you're right, as I've found after carefully reading the manual (RTFM, right!!!). In the user manual of the QnA-series pointers are mentioned. However, the pointers discussed there are not pointers as used in for instance C++. My mistake...

Laurent,
I understand the first option you supplied. However with my limited knowledge of the English language I can't really understand the second option.

The reason I'm using DUT's is because my dear colleagues have set up a company standard with Siemens Step7, thus using UDT's and DB's. Now I'm trying to "copy" this standard to Mitsubishi. Of course I'm aware that I can't copy everything, but I want to try to keep to this standard as much as possible.

Regards,
Caspar