Compactlogix and Modbus RTU connectivity

dginbuffalo

Hello-time to pull the trigger on this project. I need to connect a Modbus RTU chiller to a Compactlogix PLC through ethernet to pass information in both directions. What converters do you recommend? I'm looking at RTA, Digi IAP, Lantronix and Anybus. most have 700 page manuals-what's quick and painless for my first attempt at doing something like this? Thanks for any info.

My ease-of-use ranking is:

1. Real-Time Automation
2. Prosoft Technology (MVI69 or ProLinx)
3. HMS Fieldbus (Anybus Communicator)
4. Digi One IAP
5. Lantronix

Prosoft goes to the top of the list and stays there for support, longevity, and reliability. If I'm doing a critical interface (like a DCS interlock) I will only use Prosoft.

RTA is the runaway winner in ease of use. The feature set is basic, and the Logix Tag Client isn't the fastest, but they are just plain simple to set up.

I have opinions on all five, but for your purposes I recommend either Prosoft or RTA.