Siemens MP277 to CompactLogix

bentleya

Hey guys & gals,
Did a quick search and couldn't find anything, so....
I'm having a terrible time trying to get a Siemens MP277 to 'talk' to an L32E CompactLogix (ethernet). I have created a new, basic HMI program with one tag, trying to get it to read the Compact. I have the IP's set correctly, and can talk with either on the network (with respective programs, i.e.: RS5000 to CompactLogix). I can program the HMI thru the network as well. The 'tag address' is exactly as the address within the PLC. I have the 'connection' setup for AB Ethernet on the HMI.
I've used many different HMI's and have never had so much trouble trying to get something to talk, I'm guessing it's normal 'Siemens' to over-engineer something....

Any thoughts?

Additional Info.

I forgot to mention, the same software will work on the Runtime on my laptop. It will not work on the MP277.

Siemens MP277

Yes, the IPs are set.
When using the 'runtime' on the laptop (same software that is downloaded to HMI) it will work fine. Download the program to the HMI and it doens't work???

Yes, the IPs are set.
When using the 'runtime' on the laptop (same software that is downloaded to HMI) it will work fine. Download the program to the HMI and it doens't work???

Do you have duplicate ip addresses?

Try the Siemens hotline

Thanks for looking at it....
Yes, I can ping either.
I actually use the Siemens Wincc to program the HMI thru the ethernet connection, no problem. I program the CompactLogix thru the ethernet connection. No IP conflicts.
I do get an alarm or warning, it says something like "interface [ip address]cannot be opened."
Oh, thanks for the number. I've been working thru email with Seimens. They sent me an example which was very simple. I had it exactly as they showed....nothing.

Last edited:
Siemens cold line

Tried the Siemens Hot Line....no ideas...
Tried cross-over cable, straight thru... nothing.

No, no Control logix.
I've got many SLC's, and several CompactLogix.
I've got other HMI's working with Compact's with no problem.
I think the 'clue' is that the software will run on the PC with no problem, but downloaded to HMI, problem.

did you have tried to ping any device from the HMI windows.
It has no choice to be hardware because you can see it in wincc flex runtime....Does the download works fine but the screen show the entry with "#####" or you can't download at all ?

No problem downloading thru the ethernet network.
It shows "#####" when trying to access an I/O.
It's kind of like it can't open the comm port....

Last edited:
did you tried another variable ? did you try with your runtime running beside ?
Have you tryied to update the firmware (OS) just in case ?