1747-PIC and VMWare Player

dmroeder

Lifetime Supporting Member
Does anyone here have the 1747-PIC working in VMWare Player?

As one or two of you may know I made a patch for trying to fix the XP SP3/PIC issue. Turns out that this fix only works for machines that were upgraded to SP3. Machines that come with SP3 out of the box are a little different. I'm trying to fix this as well. The only problem is, I only have access to a native SP3 machine in VMWare.

The fix I have seems like it should work, but it's not. So I'm not sure if it's my "fix", or if it is something with VMWare.

So all I'm really after is if someone can confirm that they have a PIC working in VMWare...

edit: I have a real serial port

Last edited:
No good. Tried vmware on 2008 with 2003 enterprise as the guest (test vhd I already had), the vm had 8 cores and 16 gb ram. Big fail, but 2003 did crank. Tried it on xp with xp, another fail. I had a vhd with ME on it but that won't work with vmware, just get the endless loop for the pci bridge. I didn't bother trying it using named pipes. The pic service would not start.
Wife has sleds warming up for another ride. Once the snow is gone, I'll try a fresh install of ME and XP. I gave up awhile back and just use a VIA nano itx. I boot it from a network image. No HD, just memory, the pic and the nic. The PIC loves it and the mobo mounts to the side of the A2 expansion rack.

To convert SP3 to SP2 you just need an SP2 disc. Boot from the cd then do a repair. You don't need the activation for the SP2 disc, it will use the SP3 activation.

I actually want SP3 because I want to patch the file that causes the PIC to fail. What I didn't really want is SP3 as a guest OS because I don't know if I'm fighting the SP3 issue, or a VM issue in general.

What is "2008"?
What is "2003 Enterprise"?
What is "ME" (when you say vhd with "ME")

I would be amazed if you got the RSLinx Classic "1747-PIC/AIC+" serial driver to work through any virtual machine port redirection software layer.

The PIC driver is just too dependent on timing to work through a Virtual Machine.

Server 2008, Server 2003, Windows ME. The XP I used was SP2.
In light of Ken's revelation, it looks like the PIC in a VM is a lost cause. Heck, 1/2 the time on a real PC it's a lost cause, so I guess this shouldn't be a surprise.

I kind of suspected, but I've never heard of anyone running versions of Server with controls.

todster said:
Heck, 1/2 the time on a real PC it's a lost cause, so I guess this shouldn't be a surprise.

Says the guy running ME. :)

If you still want someone to test this for you I can do so. It'll be Monday though before I can test as I don't have the hardware with me on-site this week.

If so, would you prefer the guest be native SP3 or the upgrade from SP2 to SP3. I can test either/both.

OG

I don't want to test it through VM at all, especially now that I know it cannot work. I only brought up VM because that is all I have access to for native SP3.

What I need is the main OS to be native SP3. I have plenty of machines that were pre SP3, upgraded to SP3 and the patch works for those.

My challenge now is how to handle the source for protected files. They are buried in a .CAB. I have made a new cabinet file with the old version of serenum.sys in it (that I made). Normally I'd just put it into my .exe as a resource and extract it when I need it, but it's 20MB. I would prefer to be able to just backup the .cab on the users computer, then modify the original with code.

I don't want to test it through VM at all
Sorry, I was confused by.....

So all I'm really after is if someone can confirm that they have a PIC working in VMWare...

Ok, now I am just kidding!! I get what you're saying though. But we don't really have confirmation on the vm not working. We have an "I'd be amazed if it works..." from a pretty reliable source.

Just wanted to see if you wanted to confirm it.

OG

My bad, I am being confusing...

So to make another lap around this confusing track: If you want to try getting the PIC working in VMWare with SP3 (upgraded from SP2) as the guest, then that would be excellent.

Here is the patch.

1747 -PIC/AIC driver on VirtualBox

VirtualBox 4.2 can run 1747 PIC driver without any issues.

Settings that worked for me:

Install Windows XP Service Pack 2 on Virtual Machine, then download SP3 update.

Serial Port Settings on VirtualBox

Enable Serial Port check box: checked (enabled)
Port Number: COM1
Port Mode: Host Pipe
Create Pipe checking box: unchecked (disabled)
Port/File Path:
(Windows) -COM1:
(Linux) -/tmp/vboxS0

Once you installed Windows XP SP2 and update to SP3, you can Apply the patch that *dmroeder* developed.

Note:
Dell 620 with Native Serial Port

All set to go, hope it helps.

n____n

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm trying to use 1747 PIC with virtual XP.
I have VirtualBox 4.2.18, my host is Win7 SP1 and my guest is XP SP2 upgrade to SP3 and patched.

My laptop is Dell M6700 without com port but we use a E-Legacy Extender.
My host com is COM1 @9600.

In guest, RSlinx 2.54

1747PIC driver work perfectly on guest but it's impossible to reach PLC...

Can you help me.

Thx

VirtualBox 4.2 can run 1747 PIC driver without any issues.

Settings that worked for me:

Install Windows XP Service Pack 2 on Virtual Machine, then download SP3 update.

Serial Port Settings on VirtualBox

Enable Serial Port check box: checked (enabled)
Port Number: COM1
Port Mode: Host Pipe
Create Pipe checking box: unchecked (disabled)
Port/File Path:
(Windows) -COM1:
(Linux) -/tmp/vboxS0

Once you installed Windows XP SP2 and update to SP3, you can Apply the patch that *dmroeder* developed.

Note:
Dell 620 with Native Serial Port

All set to go, hope it helps.

n____n