Siemens S5 question.

DexterIt

Lifetime Supporting Member
In our plant we have an machine equipped with S5-CPU100 processor.Early morning the operator started to work normally,and after 25 minutes the machine it stop.The plc led tell that is in STOP condition.All the inputs and outputs are OK.We do not own an EEprom for it.If i switch the plc in stop and after i put it back into run mode,the green shows for 1 second,then go back into STOP mode.I found the floppy disk that comes with the documentation,but have no experience on what program should i use.
I replaced the battery too,as i thought might be the cause,but no success.
My questions are:What program do i need to open the program files,and you guys think that the processor might be damaged?Is working from around 1997,with no other problems.

If there is no EPROM or EEPROM, and the battery is from 97, then most likely the program is lost.

You can check if there is a program on the floppy disk. Search for a file with an .S5D extension.
Note that if the floppy disk cannot be read at all, then it may not be because it is defective, but because it is formatted with CP/M.
You may have to get support from someone with S5 experience.

Yes i found the file in the folder PLC of the disk.Is there an special Siemens cable to connect to PLC,or is there a way i can make one from serial to DB15?

Maybe there is an old Siemens programming device in your plant.
If so there is normally a cable included.
However the usage of the STEP5 programming software is quite strange. It may be best to find someone with previous experience.

If you dont have a Siemens PG already.
1. Get local support. Especially if you need to get up and running fast.
2. Buy a new software and cable for S5. I recommend these:
http://www.ibhsoftec-sps.de/english/Product_S5_V6.htm
http://www.ibhsoftec-sps.de/english/Selection_Hardware_S5.htm (USB S5 Adapter)

Thank you Jesper.Think we better buy the cable and program,since we have more machines like that.
Still the strange part that i do not understand is how could he lost the program in RUN mode? The machine was working,and sudently everything died,just like someone push the E-STOP.The I/O cards are all ok,everything is green like should be.

Well that could mean that the problem is something else than just a program loss.
Your next problem is that Siemens has stopped support for S5-100.
You may be able to find spares on the after market.

You should DEFINITELY start to consider how to upgrade the controls to something uptodate, if you want to keep these machines running.