s7 barcode

adamplc

My problem is i'm scanning a barcode in and was originally comparing the string to all my other part types to determine what this part type is,
this seems to be a waste of time as there are over 35 strings to compare. Is it best to keep it as is or just add the bytes together to get a sum of the string and tell the machine it is a certain part type.o_O
Any input on this greatly appreciated

Every barcode system I've used reads a number in character format, the numbers usually being similar, usually just a few characters changed.

These characters I'd change to number format and compare the numbers as integers.

My problem is i'm scanning a barcode in and was originally comparing the string to all my other part types to determine what this part type is,
this seems to be a waste of time as there are over 35 strings to compare. Is it best to keep it as is or just add the bytes together to get a sum of the string and tell the machine it is a certain part type.o_O
Any input on this greatly appreciated

You cant do that, consider a+b=b+a. In numbers 4+5=5+4=9 so you have no way to know that those two are different parts.

Ps. char is already a number, its just number that is agreed to represent some character.

Is scan time a issue??
Or just trying to tweak the code to make it more smarter and effecient.

Ok if strings have commom parts then try to filter them out.

AAA2121rdf
AAA4533dds

then filter out AAA.

I had originally had a problem with the string it had squares at the end I tried to initalize it but still had the problem so I tried rather than store it as a sting I changed it to a array of char and it was then ok.
I don't seem to know the difference between a sting and a array of chars, should be the same but I need to convert this into a int for evaluation compares.
I tried to move the array to a string location and then use the iec string to int fc37 but it will not scan the block. That is why I wanted to just simply add the bytes together and determine what the barcode was. I would have thought that would be a better solution but maybe not as was pointed out by TurpoUrpo

You need to look at the string format and ensure you create the additional characters (max length, actual length, etc).

When you are in the program editor, go to HELP, CONTENTS and go to the appendix area, the string is explained.

If I want to change your Char Array to string I do the following:
Create a struct Eg:
UserNameIn_Container-as struct
in this struct I have:
UserNameIn_Container.MaxLength as byte
UserNameIn_Container.ActualLength as byte
UserNameIn_Container.Chars[1..20] as array of char

The MaxLength I write fixed to 20 as per example.
The ActualLength I use from the return value of FB RCV_ET200S
With a block move after read OK, I copy my read buffer into the UserNameIn_Container.Chars array.

I then copy the struct (UserNameIn_Container) with blockmove onto a string with the length of 20.
Then you could use your compare from the IEC library on the string.

I hope it makes sense, if not I could make you a sample FB.

Last edited:
If I want to change your Char Array to string I do the following:
Create a struct Eg:
UserNameIn_Container-as struct
in this struct I have:
UserNameIn_Container.MaxLength as byte
UserNameIn_Container.ActualLength as byte
UserNameIn_Container.Chars[1..20] as array of char

The MaxLength I write fixed to 20 as per example.
The ActualLength I use from the return value of FB RCV_ET200S
With a block move after read OK, I copy my read buffer into the UserNameIn_Container.Chars array.

I then copy the struct (UserNameIn_Container) with blockmove onto a string with the length of 20.
Then you could use your compare from the IEC library on the string.

I hope it makes sense, if not I could make you a sample FB.

this is kind of how I was doing it, but not using the structure within the db. I have never understood the struct of a db and see it all the time whats the point?
If you dont mind could you please write the fb for this as i'm about ready to start to drink myself into a coma