PowerFlex Drive SetUp

Narlin

Lifetime Supporting Member
I hope this is a case where the questions is more difficult than the answer. If i communicate from a CompactLogix 1769-L32E to a PowerFlex 400 drive(s) over Ethernet/IP and the PF-400 has a Communications Adapter module installed (with required cover) do i need to additionally have "PC to Drive communication with Drive Explorer Lite", or can i simply communicate thru the PLC via RSLOgix 5000?

RSLogix 5000 v15 and later provides configuration and monitoring of PowerFlex drives over ControlNet and EtherNet/IP networks by embedding DriveExecutive into RSLogix 5000. When you open up a drive's configuration tab in the I/O tree, what you're seeing is the DriveExecutive components.

This doesn't require you to separately install DriveExecutive, or to manage *.DNO files. The components are installed as part of the RSLogix 5000 installation.

Drive Explorer and Drive Explorer Lite are simplified drive configuration tools that are not part of the Premier Drive Integration feature in RSLogix 5000. You don't need to install or configure that software to do what you want.

done deal

thanks Ken. That confirms the prior answer and explains why it will work.
narlin

Mickey's link is the reference I use all the time.

I didn't realize that the Mini version lacked DriveExecutive Lite. I don't know for sure if that prevents the embedded Premier Integration features from working. I don't have a Mini license to test it.