OT Daftest interview question you've been asked?

uptown47

Lifetime Supporting Member
I was just reading an old revived thread on here regarding the answer to an interview question. It got me wondering what's the most ridiculous interview question you've ever been asked? Or the most outlandish answer / porky-pie you've told at an interview..?

I was once being interviewed for a line electricians job. I'd been shown around the factory by a really down-to-earth electrical manager and I'd explained my background. He was sure that I'd have no problem at all technically and, after looking at their equipment, I completely agreed with him. The job was almost a done deal except the "production manager" wanted to see me first.

This guy was a real clown. He thought he knew everything about everything and treated our chat as though he was interrogating a captured spy rather than interviewing someone with many years experience for what was, essentially, a simple enough job.

After an absolute barage of 'Interviewing for Dummies' standard questions such as "Why do you want to work for us?", "Name a situation where you've overcome a problem?", "Name a situation where you've had to use your initiative?" yada yada yada... he finally got to "What do you think you'll bring to this factory?"

I stared at him, shrugged my shoulders and flatly answered, "a sense of humour?".

This threw him and the interview finished soon after that. I got the job but I think it was more to do with the fact that they just couldn't find qualified people to fill the role and put up with the s**t that came with working there (mainly from the production manager).

Strange thing was, he was 'head hunted' a few months after that and left to work at a neighbouring factory. The word was that other managers had contacted this factory telling them how amazing he was in order to get him 'head hunted' so that he would leave without them having to pay him off.

I didn't keep in touch with him when he left but I heard a few years later that he had once again been 'head hunted' and moved to another factory so it seems that workplaces were just passing him about because nobody wanted him!!

(y)

In a previous role i had a TOIL arrangment where I could accumulate time. A new manager got upset because I had about 40 hrs accumulated and insisted i take time of to reduce it to something like 16 hrs, which he considered to be a max figure i was allowed to accumulate. I asked him the question... if i have 16 hours in the bank and am called at 3am to come in am i allowed to bank it.. he replied NO its a 16 hour cap.

So when I was called at home I replied sorry I am not allowed to bank more than 16 hrs so cant come in. 10 mins later the big boss rang and confirmed my old arrangment was reinstated.

Not a job interview, but the annual employee self-development interview (directly translated, there must be a better english term).

Was asked many such standard questions which I duly answered.
One that left me silent for a minute was
"What is your most negative part of your character in your own eyes?"
It is the kind of question a psychologist would ask, and I didnt feel that this manager deserved such intimate knowledge of my own self-esteem. So I answered that I was often too dedicated to my job, so much that it would alienate me with my coworkers who were not nearly as dedicated.
He didnt have much humour, so I dont know if he sensed the sarcasm.

Sometimes I have been asked the "Ladybird book of interviewing" type questions. I was asked "describe a typical day" so i told them exactly what I had done that day. I had come into work, found my manager away so covered for him as well as doing my own work. This went on for about 10 minutes. Then they said "If you manager HAD been there, what would you have done?"

I have had interviews where they say "We don't like to talk about the salary at the first interview" in fact I had one interview arranged which was some distance away and they thought I was being akward because I wouldn't go unless they gave me some idea what it was!

The strangest interview I had was that I had to meet the company owner, after the technical interview. I was invited into his office at which point he swung his dirty boots up on his desk, leaned back in his chair and started talking away!

The worst thing I have found is the companies who cannot be bothered to say "No, thankyou". After all, you have probably taken a days leave to attend their interview.The "Boots on the desk" company was one of those!

I have had good experiences though. The best interview i had was for the best job I had. (Electrician in a brewery). I was initially unsuccessful and got the "We will keep your name on file.." letter. 3 weeks later I recieved a call from the chief Engineer - wasI still interested? I was shown around for 3 hours then asked what did I think. I replied "If you offer me the job I will take it".
I found out later that that the person who was offered the job quit after 3 days!!! I was there for 10 years.

I think it has a lot to do with the type of person who interviews you. All too often it is "HR" types who waffle on about team work when what the plant manager needs is an individual who can get him out of the **** at 2 AM!!!

Lastly - Uptown - we had a guy like that. He came with a CV packed with "Lean manufacturing" credentials. No mention of the fact that he would throw his hard hat across the office when presented with bad news. He didn't last. Perhaps there is a hidden message there, all you employers. When you read my references whic say "Mark likes his plcs, spends too much time on the internet and if you give him a crappy job to do, he will do a crappy job". it actually means I am a good guy.

What ever you do DON'T employ the guy with glowing references!

This is not from a interview per se but from a annual performace review.

"you amaze me evrey day" "You are the best hire i have made in a long time"

"All your work is top notch but i only have 1 negative and that is you need to be faster"

Now this part i was ok with but!!!

"I mean most of the time i don't understand what you are doing but i know you could do it faster"

It was just funny. But it did come from a really good boss though.

My worst questions was with a company that was building a new plant in Alabama. I showed up (after staying overnight the night before) at the office at 8:00 am for my 8:30 am interview. At 11:30 am, the chief engineer stuck his head out the door and told me to go grab something to eat and he will interview me after lunch. He did not tell me exactly when so I went and got a burger and came back to the office. My return flight home was scheduled for 3:00pm. At 2:00 pm, he asks me into his office and starts off with:

"Tell me about all the adult strip joints and the best restaurants in Augusta GA."

He and some big-wigs were going to the Masters Golf Tournament in a month and wanted to plan out his entertainment. My response was that I didn't frequent those establishments but I was interested about the new plant they were building. He stated that I couldn't see anything because of company secrets, asked me a couple of questions about why I was leaving my last job and ended the interview in about 10 minutes.

Missed my flight back, had to reschedule.

Never even heard back from them again. What a complete waste of my day, I wish I could get that day of my life back again.

... I showed up (after staying overnight the night before) at the office at 8:00 am for my 8:30 am interview...

A knock on the door at 8:45 am swiftly followed by an exit @ 9 am would've been me done! Even if them taking the p!$$ was part of some sick "interview test"... would not have worked in the long run.

I believe interviews should be made up of finding out about you technically and personally but not pushing you to the limits prior to throttling some jumped up tos$pot.

Never even heard back from them again. What a complete waste of my day, I wish I could get that day of my life back again.
Why don't employers realise that an interview is a 2 way thing? They already have your CV - so really the next stage is for them to make you WANT to work for them. I quit an interview once because I felt they were just wasting my time.

I had a friend who flew into a rage at an interview. It was an all day thing which started withe "tests" followed by the interview itself. When they mentioned money he said "Yes, I know what the salary is - you put it in the job ad", to which they replied "Ah, thats after the probation period and subject to you passing out internal exams". The starting salary was a couple of thousand less.

He left them with a few choice 4-letter words ringing in their ears!

I went out and got a haircut just before an interview for my first job out of school. Near the end of the interview with my future boss and his boss, the head boss said "...and get a haircut"

An attempt was made by an engineer to get me to work for him in a plant.
I went for an interview expecting to be interviewed by the engineer - no way - HR. My comment to them was 'I will never be interviewed by Hopeless Retards for a job'. Walked out the door and left. Pleading phone calls next day - never went back to the engineer either.
Had another - a large company - told the interviewer that I would not tolerate 'brown noses', 'back stabbers' etcetera - I am sure you know the other references - and had no problem telling them exactly what they were in front of others. I was informed that there were none in his company - he was one of them of course - walked out and never went back.
Approached by a French company - interview was incredibly stimulating of course. I suggested there may be a problem with me working for a large company - read above about 'brown noses' etcetera. Also stated I could not stand the French. Strange look so I explained 'power freaks, useless in a crisis, 'c'est le gare' (sure spelling is wrong), walk away and leave you with it. You solve the problem and then they turn up with the comment 'I would not have solved it that way'! Great after the fact. Big smile and the comment 'no, you would not fit in'.
Went and worked for myself - best thing I ever did!
Only interviews I attend these days are to determine whether the client considers I am suitable to do a job I have won. Surprising how much tolerance there is for 'grumpy old b******s' and I have been told all three are applicable. Get away with lots of things these daus that would have been considered extremly insolent when I was younger.
I never use that to my advantage of course.
The worm turns!!!