Rockwell bootp and 22-comm-e

jjcolletta

Hello

Has anyone used RA's bootp server to configure a new 22-comm-e module through 2 Rockwell Ethernet cards? We have 2 ethernet cards in the rack, 1 set for a corporate network 10.x.x.x and the other for machine i/o 192.x.x.x. I need to configure the drive on the machine i/o network from the corporate network.

Any thoughts?

Thank you
Jack

That won't work.

The BOOTP/DHCP Server Utility responds to direct Ethernet broadcasts, and those don't pass through a CIP bridge like a ControlLogix backplane.

You need to have a BOOTP/DHCP Server directly attached to the controls network. In most cases, this just means plugging in your PC to the control network for a few minutes.

Dang.

I figured as much since I could not find any examples or references to this. I really appreciate the quick response.

I was hoping not to have to drive to do this.

Thanks again

If there are any folks onsite with a pinch of computer experience they could plug in a PC with a BOOTP Server... heck, you could send them a router with nothing but a plug on the LAN side and a photo showing how to plug it in.

And if the drive has one of the HIM modules you can set the IP address from that keypad.

My preference to separate business LAN from automation LAN is actually a m0n0wall firewall. It's secure, simple, open-source, and can run on tiny embedded devices that can hold up in PLC-like environments. Even though CIP/CIP backplane bridging is illustrated as a "malware-proof" network interface in the RA world, I'm confident enough in m0n0wall to stake my production on it. And it's got a nice VPN service, and a well-configurable DHCP server.