Transfer

R.Mati

Hi

I have a Tank (A) with a level sensor attached on the top.
Tank (A) calls for product from Tank(B)(ONLY) 100 Liters at a time.

I have no idea how to measure 100 Liters that needed to be transfered from (B) to (A).

Hope that it clear.

Last edited:
You could put a flow monitor and use that to measure 100 liters. You'll want to search the forums for "Totalizer"

Or, if the setup allows it, you could use the existing level sensor and the dimensions of tank A to find the volume of tank A to make sure it gets filled 100 liters. This would work only if A wasn't being emptied by some other source.

Or, the same for Tank B, again if tank B isn't being filled by another source while being emptied to fill A.

Last edited:
You could put a flow monitor and use that to measure 100 liters. You'll want to search the forums for "Totalizer"

Or, if the setup allows it, you could use the existing level sensor and the dimensions of tank A to find the volume of tank A to make sure it gets filled 100 liters. This would work only if A wasn't being emptied by some other source.

Or, the same for Tank B, again if tank B isn't being filled by another source while being emptied to fill A.

TANK (A) gets emptied by some other source

Last edited:
Simplified... a lot depends on what medium you're transferring, how and what other factors affect the levels.

Are we to assume that once the level switch requests a fill to Tank A, Tank B releases it's load?

Can Tank A still be emptying whilst Tank B is trying to put 100l into it?

Tanks.JPG

Simplified... a lot depends on what medium you're transferring, how and what other factors affect the levels.

Are we to assume that once the level switch requests a fill to Tank A, Tank B releases it's load?

Thanks for your reply,

The case is like that.
Tank (B) has a mix of Resin and some pigment when the mix is ready, Tank (A) would be ready to call for that mix from tank (B) and would call only for a 100 Liters at a time.

BTW, Tank (B) level is measured in mm
Tank (A) level is measured in L
and there is no flow meter on the pipe between A & B
all I have is a Pump and valve.

No, at this stage.

BUT they might ask for it I am pretty sure.

tanks.jpg

Last edited:
Depending on how accurate you want your 100 litres to be, I have some suggestions, ranked in order of cost/accuracy...

1. Use the existing level sensor on tank B to determine 100l has been taken from it. You would need a "Dip Table" of the tank to determine mm height versus volume. Doesn't allow B to be filled while transferring.

2. Use a PD pump run for a pre-determined time would give reasonable accuracy. Allows for B to be filling AND A to be emptying concurrently.

3. Use a flowmeter between B and A, for best accuracy. Also allows for B to be filling AND A to be emptying concurrently.

Either way would allow A to be emptied while B is transferring.

Can you always the run the VSD at same speed ? If so, you could work out the length of time that the Pump had to run to deliver 100 litres (at a pre-determined speed) you just run the pump for that length of time. Not very accurate but without extra instrumentation it may work.