SLC-150 PCIS Problem

grover1

Greetings.

I am updating a SLC-150 program at our plant and I will utilize the few spare I/O pins and internal bits that are left. To accomplish this I am using the DOS-based PCIS program to change the code and I have encountered one problem- how do I add instruction comments? When I am in edit mode, I have access to the Edit Attributes (F9) function, but it only allows me to type and store data to the right side of the displayed colon, and the text doesn't show up on the rungs. When I invoke the F9 funtion on existing instructions with comments, the commented text will appear to the left of the colon. I don't think F9 is the right function, but nothing else in PCIS gets me as close to it.

Any ideas?

Grover

PS: Thanks to PLucas for steering me out of the practice section!

slc 150 (slc 100)

Click on the search button at the top of the page. Do a search for "slc100". The slc100 and slc150 use the same software. There may
be something in the older threads that will help.

Thanks for the suggestion, jrwb4gbm. I did as you suggested and was unable to locate any reference to instruction comments. I can survive without the comments, but it will make it tougher for anyone who follows.

Regards,

Grover

Grover:

Have a look at this post for the manual: http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?postid=669#post669

Beware! This is a large download, and the manual is basically "image" only - you can't search based on a text criteria. It also seems more focused on the handheld programmer instead of the PCIS software.

Our plant has one SLC-150 still in service, so I have kept the software and downloaded this manual but have never needed to actually do anything with it.

A quick look suggests that instruction comments can't be included. The "edit attributes" looks to apply to Rung comments only. Highlight the start of the rung, then "edit attributes", and comment away (one line of text only!).

If you find out anything different, I'd appreciate knowing what you found in case I ever need to play with our '150.

Marc

gholder:

Thanks for the feedback. I tried what you said, and it looks like you are limited to two 5-character lines. Is that correct?

Thanks,

Marc

HEY, IT WORKED!!

Many thanks, gholder. That is exactly what I was looking for! But, what an odd way to structure the editing functions of the program.

msinclair,

Thanks also for the link to the 1745 manual. I did not have that one and the information on instruction execution time was very helpful.

Best Regards and Merry Christmas,

Grover

gmultani52,

For example, you need to add new instruction 711 to your rung with an address comment of "RELAY LATCH". To do this you would enter <F1>, [7], [1], [1], [R] then wait a moment. Pressing any character (in this case "R") after the address automatically invokes the PCIS comment editor. Keep typing [E], [L], [A], [Y], [L], [A], [T], [C], [H], <ENTER>. Just remember to wait after entering the first character.

Grover