siemens im151 thermocouple open circuit??

mr_sleepy

Hi all. Just a quick question with perhaps an obvious answer (hopefully). I have an im151 basic head module with a 2ai tc hf card attached to it. I have the card addressed properly and i have the values coming back to the plc where i expect them to which is fine. The problem i have is when the thermocouple is disconnected the value floats instead of defaulting to 32648 or 0 or whatever. This is a problem because there is alarms attached to each of the tc's and they trigger on and off and fill up the alarm history buffer in 2-3 mins time which voids the purpose of it. The question is how do i get the value to stabilise when the card is open circuit or detect that there is a problem so i can disable the alarm etc. Thanks in advance.

Private Messages

But is the connection can be loose? when i got problems like that with an RTD, their is 99% of the time a loose connection somewhere

Last edited:
The part number of the unit is 6es7 134-4nb01-0ab0. I checked the options in the hwconfig, there is a checkbox for wire break diagnostics but i have no idea how to use it. I guess if i could detect that condition that would be ideal. We use omron plc kit as well but we never have any issues with their tc cards. If you get short,open or no circuit then the value auto defaults to overflow and it is stable at that. Hopefully the solution isnt too long winded for siemens as there is a lot of alarms and tc's on this project.

Hi all i eventually found the solution after a bit more playing around today. Seems i didnt tick all the boxs that were required. I Have included a picture that shows the 2 boxs i didnt check for reference. Incase anyone else stumbles across this once you tick those 2 boxs you then get the diagnostics info back in ob82 but for my purpose what also happens is that when you get an open or short circuit in the thermocouple it defaults to overflow or 32768 which in my application triggers a danger alarm and prevents overheating.
solution.bmp

Thanks again.

Thank you for making the effort to post a follow-up after you solved your problem. Your screen shot might be of assistance to any number of people down the road.

Dan

A very high resistor like 5 Mohm over the contacts is doing a good job for this. as well as other volt inputs, like mV or RTD.