PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 and 1747-UIC

Kev77
March 22nd, 2011, 10:27 AM
I am having a problem setting up a 1747-UIC to run on Windows 7. I am using RSLinx 2.57 on a Dell E5510 with 32bit operating system. When I first plugged it in it was unable to install the correct drivers so I pointed it to the RSLinx folder and it installed it automatically. The device shows up under the USB section on the device manager but does not show up under the Com ports. I can create a driver and assign it to Com 1 but all the other com ports that I try give me errors. I called Rockwell and they are clueless about Windows 7 and they say it is Dell's problem. We checked event logs and that was about it. Anyone seen this before?

Thanks,

Kevin :shock:

dmroeder
March 22nd, 2011, 11:34 AM
Did you try telling the device manager to scan for hardware changes again after you installed the USB driver? It seems like it will run through the installation twice, once for the USB driver and once for the COM driver.

Unfortunately we sent ours out on the road to a service guy and probably won't see it back for a while or I would verify. I know we got it working in VMWare, and I thought I got it working in W7, but now I'm doubting myself (on the W7 part).

geniusintraining
March 22nd, 2011, 08:58 PM
They work great under W7, 64 or 32 bit you just need to use a different driver in RSLinx for the 64 bit

I don't think your driver installed correctly, click on it in your device mananger and up date the driver

I have the same laptop and it works great...

Kev77
March 24th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Well, I got it working... Rockwell told me that the driver was included in the newer versions of RSLinx but for some reason it would not load them correctly. dmroeder, you are correct. The UIC 232/485 driver installed correctly and the com driver didn't. The way I got it to work is I downloaded the 1747-UIC driver (dated Oct. 2003) off the AB site and installed it. Rockwell said there is no official driver for the UIC yet and the one I downloaded was for Windows 2000. I got several errors while I was installing it but it seems to be working good.

When I first tried to install the UIC it would show up in the device manager as a unknown device. I had to point the driver wizard to the RSLinx folder to install the correct 232/485 driver and that seemed to work for that driver. I tried several times scanning for hardware and it was not able to see it. It would show up in the USB section of the device manager and not in the com port section. Once I installed from the AB downloaded driver it worked.

Thanks for the response.

KEvin

dmroeder
March 24th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Good to know. Glad you got it working.

I don't think that you needed to download it, the driver comes in Linx. On my machine it is in:

C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSLinx\PnP_Drivers\1747-UIC

Kev77
March 24th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Was I doing it wrong when I plugged in the UIC and then pointed the driver wizard to the RSlinx folder. Should I have tried to run the driver installer in that folder? I think I read more into it when Rockwell said the driver was included.

Thanks,

Kevin :banghead:

rocket_rocks
July 14th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Where can I get the 64 bit driver for the 1747-UIC?

They work great under W7, 64 or 32 bit you just need to use a different driver in RSLinx for the 64 bit

I don't think your driver installed correctly, click on it in your device mananger and up date the driver

I have the same laptop and it works great...

geniusintraining
July 14th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Its there... you need to use the DF1 driver, see the screen shot below for the set up

rocket_rocks
July 15th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Thanks Genius!
My issue was with Win 7 64 bit did not recognise the 1747-uic device the first time I tried it. Today, it saw it, then my VMWare machine could attach and viola RSLinx just as you show could finally find it.

Conclusion--Win 7 64 bit with VMWare XP op sys and RSLinx 2.56 will work with this device.

geniusintraining
July 15th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Glad it working... if you don't use a VM and run it straight on Windows 7 you will need to use the DF1 driver

RSLinx will only load 64 bit compatible drivers on a 64 Bit machine, so the newest versions of RSLinx 2.57 when loaded on a 64 bit machine will only have a few drivers on the configure screen (I think 6) the same version 2.57 on a 32 bit machine will have 14

But like I said you can run it straight on the machine and not in VM or XP Mode but you need to use the DF1 driver and just set it up manually like the screen shot above

enjoy!!

rocket_rocks
July 19th, 2011, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the reply. Since some AB products and legacy items we need to support old machines is not compatible with Win7 64 bit yet, WM is what we will have to use for awhile. If we can fully convert, we will be sure to update and use the drivers in Win7. Thanks again!

bluenoser337
November 14th, 2011, 11:10 AM
DF1 driver set up as shown in the jpg works GREAAAAAT !!
Thanks!! :wizard:

Steve Cav
December 7th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Hi,

I'm currently running a Windows 7 Professional 64 bit laptop with RSLogix 500 installed with RSLinx 2.57.

I set up the DF1 driver as above but when I look in Device Manager I see :-

"Allen Bradley 1747-UIC" under other devices with an exclamation mark and checking under ports only shows COM1 i.e. no port has been set up for the 1747-UIC.

If I uninstall the driver it automatically re-installs it when I plug the device back in.

PS. Updating the driver fails with "unable to install your Allen Bradley 1747-UIC"

Any ideas how to get around this one?
Steve

dmroeder
December 7th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Are you seeing this message in the windows device manager? It sounds like the device was never completely installed. If I remember right, the first time I plugged mine in, it went through the driver install twice. Must have installed some kind of USB driver then a COM port driver.

I wonder if you can right click on the exclamation mark and select update driver to finish the process.

Steve Cav
December 7th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Yes, I am seeing it in Device manager but if I right click and update driver it asks to search so I point it at the relevant directory, click next and get the following :-

Windows was unable to install your Allen Bradley 1747-UIC
Windows could not find driver software for your device.

Steve

dmroeder
December 7th, 2011, 11:02 AM
You could try the drivers here (http://www.ftdichip.com/FTDrivers.htm). This appears to be the people that make them. I would guess that you probably need the D2XX drivers. Maybe download them both and see if either will work.

Steve Cav
December 7th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Downloaded the D2XX driver and it installed successfully, although it had an exclaimation mark next to it in device manager.

Updated driver again and once more successfully installed but this time without the exclaimation mark and the USB light on the 1747-UIC is now on!

Will try to connect to a PLC and feed back.

Hopefully, it will work!

Thanks for your help
Steve

dmroeder
December 7th, 2011, 12:45 PM
No problem Steve. Post back your results if you get time.

Steve Cav
December 8th, 2011, 09:36 AM
Tried to connect to the PLC without success.

On plugging the 1747-UIC into the laptop the USB lit and was set on COM8. Checked in RSLinx but only the laptop could be seen NOT the PLC. Confirmed that the driver was set up for COM8.

Started RSLogix 500 but as suspected, it could not go online.

dmroeder
December 8th, 2011, 10:06 AM
What is the part number of the processor you are connecting to? What cable are you using to connect the UIC to the processor and is the dip switch set to the cable that you are using?

Steve Cav
December 8th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Processor : 1747-L532C/D 5/03 CPU - 16K Mem. OS302
Dip switch : Set to RS485 (DH485)
Cable : Cat5e Crossover

I've just read on another thread that it could be that it needs to use a straight through ethernet lead rather than crossover, which I will try.

dmroeder
December 8th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Definitely use a straight through cable

Steve Cav
December 8th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Ok, I'll give it another go.

Steve Cav
December 8th, 2011, 11:37 AM
Tried a straight through cable but unable to see or access the PLC.

What appears to be happening is that when I plug in the 1747-UIC to the laptop & processor the DH485 light flashes but the USB is out. When I fire up RSLogix 500 and try to communicate with the processor, the USB light comes on but the DH485 light goes out!

geniusintraining
December 8th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Cable : Cat5e Crossover

I've just read on another thread that it could be that it needs to use a straight through ethernet lead rather than crossover, which I will try.

The bad news.... I am 99% sure you just smoked the 1747-UIC and it will never work again

The CPU's have 24v on the port if you use a cross over cable you will send 24 volts to the UIC and they run on 5

This is the reason I attached the 1747-C13 to our aftermarket cables

Steve Cav
December 9th, 2011, 02:06 AM
I'll try the UIC today with an old XP laptop, which I know has worked in the past to prove whether the UIC is smoked or not.

Steve Cav
December 9th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Seems like the 1747-UIC is smoked! Can't access with the XP laptop either. Will order a few more and try again!

geniusintraining
December 9th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Seems like the 1747-UIC is smoked! Can't access with the XP laptop either. Will order a few more and try again!

Steve,

We sell aftermarket UIC's the C13 is molded into the cable so that will not happen... if you need one let me know, I give discount to plctalk.net members, not a ton but I can save you a few bucks

Best regards
Mark

Steve Cav
December 22nd, 2011, 04:14 AM
Thanks for the offer, but unfortunately we can only purchase from certain suppliers.

I've ordered a few 1747-UICs and will make up some straight through ethernet leads missing out pins 3 & 6 to give me the 1747-C13 cable, hopefully.

Pinouts should be (i think!) :-

1 RED CH. B TX/RC 1 TOP
2 BLACK CH. A TX/RC 2
3 BROWN +24 VDC 3 **
4 WHITE SIGNAL GND 4
5 BLUE TX-EN 5
6 DRAIN EARTH GND 6 **
7 GREEN SIGNAL GND 7
8 ORANGE +24 VDC 8 BOTTOM

Fisherjames73
December 22nd, 2011, 10:07 AM
I'm running OS win7 64 bit, If you are installing the driver from the UIC you need to just go ahead and delete the drive and pull it from http://www.rockwellsoftware.com/support/download/detail.cfm?ID=2995. I have set-up 3 laptops and had to do the samething to correct the issue. It could of been the 1747-UIC device I have is just jacked-up.

geniusintraining
December 22nd, 2011, 07:57 PM
Thanks for the offer, but unfortunately we can only purchase from certain suppliers.

I've ordered a few 1747-UICs and will make up some straight through ethernet leads missing out pins 3 & 6 to give me the 1747-C13 cable, hopefully.

Pinouts should be (i think!) :-

Yes I think 3 is the one that got you... see Mickey's http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=208063&postcount=2

I also have 1747-C13 cables, I can be that certain suppier also :) http://www.ind-concepts.com/Allen_Bradley_PLC_Cables.htm

Happy Holidays!!

Steve Cav
January 5th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Got the new 1747-UIC, connected up using correct lead and cannot access PLC - yet can do via an XP laptop.

When I try to bring up RSLinx to select or configure the DF1 driver it doesn't appear (RSLinx that is).

Yet in task manager it appears to be running!

Consequently, I cannot configure the driver. Yet I was able to run RSLinx previously!

Any ideas? Have rebooted the machine without success.

RSLinx Classic Lite 2.57 running on a Windows 7 64 bit machine

Steve Cav
January 6th, 2012, 02:35 AM
Set up RSLinx as an application rather than a service - no idea how it got changed and can connect ok.

Sometimes I have to stop / start the driver in RSLinx to reconnect - no idea why?

geniusintraining
January 6th, 2012, 07:57 AM
Did you buy one of mine or AB's ?

One thing that I noticed... you say DF1 driver, you should be using UIC driver, update your RSLinx software to 2.54 or newer if you have a older version

If you bought my cable then look on the CD for the procedure, if you bought AB's then you can find the procedure on our website

Steve Cav
January 6th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Had no choice but to buy from AB. I thought you used the DF1 driver if running under Windows 7. Running Linx 2.57

Seems to be working - made a lead and didn't connect pins 3 & 6

geniusintraining
January 6th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Just looked back and it looks like you are using 64 Bit... so yes you are correct you need to use the DF1 driver

How about another application run and trying to use the same com port? my 64 bit stays connected also running 2.57, maybe its the cable ;)

Steve Cav
January 9th, 2012, 04:41 AM
I can connect and disconnect and it always uses COM 8. No other application running. Just occasionally it simply will not connect and the only option is to stop / start the driver in RSLinx.

Cable is a straight through with pins 3 & 6 missing - has been tested and proved to be ok.

alan_505
January 9th, 2012, 05:13 AM
I have had similar problems when using my 1203-USB, if it gets disconnected when I am using it I cannot reconnect, so what I normally do is change the com port to another one and then go back to the correct port this seems to re find the 1203-USB, I tried stopping and re starting but it does not always work for me.

Alan

Steve Cav
January 9th, 2012, 05:26 AM
Glad to see I'm not the only one! I'll try changing the port next time it happens and see if it finds the 1747-UIC

geniusintraining
January 9th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Just occasionally it simply will not connect and the only option is to stop / start the driver in RSLinx..

99% of the time when this happens its because you are starting RSLinx to fast, open your device mananger and click on ports.... then plug in your cable, it can take up to a minute for your PC to load the cable to the port, if you open RSLinx before the cable is loaded it will have a port conflict and you must stop then restart the driver.

W7 will look for an update everytime you plug the cable in, you can change and skip it but default is to search

If you wait a little bit before you start RSLinx I am sure you will not have any issues

Steve Cav
January 9th, 2012, 09:29 AM
I'll give it a go!

strantor
January 23rd, 2014, 03:14 PM
Anyone experiencing this issue with win7 64 bit, refer to post 10 and install this (http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM%202.08.30%20WHQL%20Certified.zip) then refer to post 8 and use those settings.

ncfrance
January 29th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Anyone experiencing this issue with win7 64 bit, refer to post 10 and install this (http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM%202.08.30%20WHQL%20Certified.zip) then refer to post 8 and use those settings.

This worked perfectly for me, thanks!