Windows 7 and 1747-UIC

Kev77

I am having a problem setting up a 1747-UIC to run on Windows 7. I am using RSLinx 2.57 on a Dell E5510 with 32bit operating system. When I first plugged it in it was unable to install the correct drivers so I pointed it to the RSLinx folder and it installed it automatically. The device shows up under the USB section on the device manager but does not show up under the Com ports. I can create a driver and assign it to Com 1 but all the other com ports that I try give me errors. I called Rockwell and they are clueless about Windows 7 and they say it is Dell's problem. We checked event logs and that was about it. Anyone seen this before?

Thanks,

Kevin :eek:

Did you try telling the device manager to scan for hardware changes again after you installed the USB driver? It seems like it will run through the installation twice, once for the USB driver and once for the COM driver.

Unfortunately we sent ours out on the road to a service guy and probably won't see it back for a while or I would verify. I know we got it working in VMWare, and I thought I got it working in W7, but now I'm doubting myself (on the W7 part).

They work great under W7, 64 or 32 bit you just need to use a different driver in RSLinx for the 64 bit

I don't think your driver installed correctly, click on it in your device mananger and up date the driver

I have the same laptop and it works great...

Well, I got it working... Rockwell told me that the driver was included in the newer versions of RSLinx but for some reason it would not load them correctly. dmroeder, you are correct. The UIC 232/485 driver installed correctly and the com driver didn't. The way I got it to work is I downloaded the 1747-UIC driver (dated Oct. 2003) off the AB site and installed it. Rockwell said there is no official driver for the UIC yet and the one I downloaded was for Windows 2000. I got several errors while I was installing it but it seems to be working good.

When I first tried to install the UIC it would show up in the device manager as a unknown device. I had to point the driver wizard to the RSLinx folder to install the correct 232/485 driver and that seemed to work for that driver. I tried several times scanning for hardware and it was not able to see it. It would show up in the USB section of the device manager and not in the com port section. Once I installed from the AB downloaded driver it worked.

Thanks for the response.

KEvin

Good to know. Glad you got it working.

I don't think that you needed to download it, the driver comes in Linx. On my machine it is in:

C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSLinx\PnP_Drivers\1747-UIC

Was I doing it wrong when I plugged in the UIC and then pointed the driver wizard to the RSlinx folder. Should I have tried to run the driver installer in that folder? I think I read more into it when Rockwell said the driver was included.

Thanks,

Kevin o_O

Thanks Genius!
My issue was with Win 7 64 bit did not recognise the 1747-uic device the first time I tried it. Today, it saw it, then my VMWare machine could attach and viola RSLinx just as you show could finally find it.

Conclusion--Win 7 64 bit with VMWare XP op sys and RSLinx 2.56 will work with this device.

Glad it working... if you don't use a VM and run it straight on Windows 7 you will need to use the DF1 driver

RSLinx will only load 64 bit compatible drivers on a 64 Bit machine, so the newest versions of RSLinx 2.57 when loaded on a 64 bit machine will only have a few drivers on the configure screen (I think 6) the same version 2.57 on a 32 bit machine will have 14

But like I said you can run it straight on the machine and not in VM or XP Mode but you need to use the DF1 driver and just set it up manually like the screen shot above

enjoy!!

Thanks for the reply. Since some AB products and legacy items we need to support old machines is not compatible with Win7 64 bit yet, WM is what we will have to use for awhile. If we can fully convert, we will be sure to update and use the drivers in Win7. Thanks again!

Hi,

I'm currently running a Windows 7 Professional 64 bit laptop with RSLogix 500 installed with RSLinx 2.57.

I set up the DF1 driver as above but when I look in Device Manager I see :-

"Allen Bradley 1747-UIC" under other devices with an exclamation mark and checking under ports only shows COM1 i.e. no port has been set up for the 1747-UIC.

If I uninstall the driver it automatically re-installs it when I plug the device back in.

PS. Updating the driver fails with "unable to install your Allen Bradley 1747-UIC"

Any ideas how to get around this one?
Steve

Last edited:
Are you seeing this message in the windows device manager? It sounds like the device was never completely installed. If I remember right, the first time I plugged mine in, it went through the driver install twice. Must have installed some kind of USB driver then a COM port driver.

I wonder if you can right click on the exclamation mark and select update driver to finish the process.

Yes, I am seeing it in Device manager but if I right click and update driver it asks to search so I point it at the relevant directory, click next and get the following :-

Windows was unable to install your Allen Bradley 1747-UIC
Windows could not find driver software for your device.

Steve