Faulted SLC 5/03?

realolman

I have a SLC 5/3 that is flashing a fault lite.

I have removed the battery and shorted the capacitor

I can communicate in RSLinx and it it will correctly read the I/O configuration in RSLogix 500

It displays messages that the processor is faulted and it show as faulted in Who Active..

Switch is in program

I have the jumper set to program

I have a small test program which I have used before.

I know I have to do a download ...but it always says Int driver failed code -1

I am using a 1747 UIC, which I just got, but it worked a few times

how can I get rid of the fault?

How does it correctly read the I/O config( I have removed and replaced output modules ) if it can't communicate?

thanks

update

I don't know exactly what I did, but I went to tools > options > system communications and clicked download from there, and it went thru a few message boxes re: communications etc. and then it downloaded my little test program and is happy now.

what the heck is that? why couldn't I download from the comms tab? everything looked OK in WhoActive, and it did I/O configs

All A-B controllers will refuse a download if they are in a Fault state. They will respond to network functions like "List I/O" or "List Identity" or even "Read Data Table", which is why the RSWho browse and I/O Autodetect work.

But you have to clear the fault before you can download. When you have physical access, that's usually a full cycle of the keyswitch (run/prog/run/prog). When you don't have physical access you have to choose 'clear fault' or 'show fault' in RSLogix 500. In RSLogix 5000 the process is "go online" then select the Faults tab, then "clear faults".

While it's certainly technologically feasible to have "reset fault" as part of the download process, it's just an Allen-Bradley principle that you can't download to a faulted controller until you have at least had the opportunity to view the fault code.

thank you both... I had the wrong idea about the jumper.... And I did not know about the keyswitch reset .. everything you both posted is news to me, and I appreciate it.. thank you

I think it's odd though... this all started from the battery going dead during an extended period of not being powered, and the msg box for the error gave me the option of downloading a program or loading from Eeprom.

It would do the EEprom, but not the download... seems misleading to me.

Back when you dealt with a black screen and a greater than sign, and you had to spell and punctuate everything right, you expected to have to know all this obscure stuff, but with the advent of the GUI and "intuitive" programs, I think things should be more apparent.

At any rate ....thanks for your replies